Monday, December 2, 2013

The Night Before Christmas

I we were off all last week, so I was excited to get back to my little ones today. Elfie our classroom elf joined us today and what a difference in behavior he made :) Loving him! So are my kids!

I found a version of The Night Before Christmas on the bargain table at Barnes and Nobel that I just love. The illustrations are so kid friendly, simple, and colorful. A hardback copy was only $7.
Today we retold the story using the events. This is one of the first times we have really done this. We have spent a lot of time focusing on retelling using the characters and settings because that seems to be a little easier to do. I placed all of the picture cards at the top of the paper so that we could look at them to help us. We have also learned to go back to the text to check when we are not sure. We did this several time to check our thinking. 

Then we drew and wrote about what we would do if we saw Santa. You can get the clip art pictures for retelling and the writing paper here
Loved this one! He said he would dance because he has never seen Santa putting out the gifts in his house before. He said he would do it quietly though so Santa would not know he was there. 

In math we read 10 Trim-the-Tree'ers. We are just getting started with this book. So many fun things you can do with it. Today we decorated Christmas trees and counted the objects we put on them. I was trying to aim for not more than 15 objects on each tree, but they had so much fun decorating them that most of them had between 15-18 objects. I found this tree idea years ago from Kim Jordano. She used it as an I Spy Christmas Tree activity. You can get the 10 Trim-the-Treer'ers unit here


Mrs. Thompson said...

I am loving that Night Before Christmas book! The illustrations look so cute. I'll have to hit up my B&N soon! Also, your crafts look so good!
Mrs. Thompson
Adventures in Teaching (A First Grade Blog)
My TpT Store

TheElementary MathManiac said...

What a fun way to practice re-telling!

The Math Maniac

Eve Otting said...

Do you offer your Night Before Christmas retelling cards? I would love to do this for a lesson!

April Larremore said...

You can find them here :)