Monday, November 11, 2013

Who Will Carve the Turkey This Thanksgiving?

I am sure that most of you are already familiar with this book, but I just came across it last week. I ordered it last year, but never got around to opening it or using it so it was a fun surprise when I found it a few days ago. My kids loved it! 

We retold the story using picture cards of the animals in the book. I placed them out in a row in the middle of the carpet. Then I called on students to tell us what animal came next. When it was someone's turn they had to name the animal, find the picture, and act like the animal in some way. They could act like it or make a noise like it makes. We had a lot of fun with this. Some of them were really good at making animal noises. 



Here is one of my students making antlers to act like the moose. 
Our curriculum has us do conceptual sorts in ELA, so we did a wild/tame animal conceptual sort since all of the animals in the book are wild. 

We made text-to-self connections by comparing who carved the turkey in the book to who carves the turkey at our house. 
Then we made our own class book for who would carve the turkey. 

 

 


The clip art pictures and class book page can be found here

4 comments:

Kinder Teacher said...

Your kiddos did wonderful! Your class looks so fun!
I am new to kinder and looking for new ideas! Kindergarten is my heart

Kinder Teacher said...

Your kiddos did wonderful! Your class looks so fun!
I am new to kinder and looking for new ideas! Kindergarten is my heart

Mattie B @ Team Exercises said...

I just stumbled across your blog---but I have to say, I love this activity!

And I love that last one---the chetu! He's got character!!

Jennifer White said...

You always do the cutest activities with your kids!
Jennifer
First Grade Blue Skies