Thursday, November 14, 2013

The Turkey Train

I  love Steve Metzger books, so when I came across The Turkey Train at Barnes and Nobel the other day I had to buy it. I have been trying to get my hands on several of his other turkey books like The Great Turkey Race, but I guess they are out of print so they are extremely expensive to purchase now.




Here is what we did with The Turkey Train this week. 

Instead of sequencing the story, we retold it simply by recalling all of the things the turkeys did in the book. We used a circle map to show all of the events or happenings in the story. 

We made text-to-text connections between The Turkey Train and 10 Fat Turkeys. I would have loved to have done this comparison with one of the other Steve Metzger turkey books, but I wasn't paying $20 for a used paperback and I definitely wasn't paying over $1000 for The Great Turkey Race!!

Of course we had to make turkeys! I tried to pattern them like the ones in the book. 


This was my favorite lesson. We talked about how the story would be different if the setting changed. We decided to change the setting to the beach. We brainstormed what the turkeys would have done if they had gone to the beach. My kids came up with some great ideas and some awesome looking turkeys!


This is my favorite picture! I love the sharks swimming in the ocean!

This week we have been learning about real object graphs, so first we graphed our favorite winter activities using our bodies. Then we transferred our real object graph data to a pictorial format. Since the turkeys in the book skated, skied, sled, and threw snowballs we used those winter activities for our graph. You can get all of the clip art pictures, words, and the instructions for the turkey craft here









5 comments:

Rose said...

I love Steve Metzger too.These are some great ideas to use with the Turkey train. Thanks for sharing.

Lori The Kindergarten Pod said...

I LOVE his books! I have The Great Turkey Race and The Amazing Turkey Rescue. I always look forward to reading them this time of year. Both books are in my plans next week. Can't wait!

Debbie said...

I know it might be a little late for you this year, but,I was just looking through my Scholastic book orders and found that both, The Amazing Turkey Rescue and The Great Turkey Race are for sale in the Scholastic Teacher store for $3.71. Hope this helps for next year. deccles@joink.com

Mrs. Larremore said...

Thanks Debbie!! I am so excited! Just went and ordered them!!

ThrillsandFrillsinFirst said...

Love those books, thanks for the amazing ideas. We just posted some Thanksgiving freebie on our blog, hope you can check them out!

http://thrillsandfrillsinfirst.blogspot.com