Thursday, November 21, 2013

Positional Words on the Playground

Here is what we did in science with positional words yesterday. We went outside to the playground and I placed students in different positions. Then I had my class tell me where the student was located using positional words we had learned. I took pictures of the students in each spot then we labeled them in the classroom. This bulletin board has turned out to be a lot of fun because all day I have heard kids say things like "Look at Massamba. He is really far away." "Look at R.J. He is under the bench."

We started the lesson by going out to the playground and sitting around a bench while I read the book What Game Shall We Play? In the book, all of the animals want to play a game, but don't know what game they should play. They look all over for different animals to ask. Each page is full of positional words that describe where the animals look for and find each animal.




Here are a few of my favorite pictures. 




10 comments:

The Science School Yard said...

Love the idea of using pictures of the kids for the words. I used the plastic teddy bears to show them the words, but this is such a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I did this same thing, but bound the pictures (with captions) into a class book. It is a hot item when we fill our book boxes!

Teachie-Peachie said...

Awesome idea! I love it...it is a must-do!

Matthew @ Team Building Blog said...

At first I thought this was clever, and now I think it's brilliant!

Positional words can be kind of tough, but a playground (where you can use "under" and "over" in a very fun way, with students under and on top of playground equipment) is the PERFECT environment for this activity.

Rock on, Mrs. Larremore!

Erin said...

LOVE this - what a great idea!!!

Andrea Monroe said...

Those pictures are so cute! I do this with living and non living objects we find around school. The kids love to look at themselves!
~Andi

Luv My Kinders said...

Love this idea! I have that big book and had not read it with my kinders yet! Now I have a great activity to go along with it. Thanks so much for sharing!

~Laura

Aimee Farrell said...

I love this idea!!!! I am doing Teaching Strategies GOLD and I have to score them on positional words. I love this fun way to do it, then to display it so they can keep practicing them!! Thanks for the idea!
Aimee

Anmona Ami said...

Instant loans are meant for abbreviate appellation banking crisis. Death, affliction or any added abrupt bulk can put an accidental accent on your budget. At this moment, you would charge banknote and the paycheck is too far to booty affliction of abrupt expenses. Burning loans accommodate you with the money in time beneath and get calmly accustomed alike afterwards acclaim check. The allowances of burning loans include... Cash Advance

Justin said...

This is regularly exacerbated by the way that numerous unseasoned parents think little of the extra costs that a child will bring. Diapers and recipe and in no way, shape or form modest, and you additionally have dress, medicinal services and different costs to consider. cash advance chicago