Saturday, November 16, 2013

Bear Says Thanks Freebie

I love all of the books about bear and his friends. This week we read Bear Says Thanks. Then we retold the story using the characters. You can download the animal pictures and the writing sheet for free here

I passed out the characters to the kids. When we got to their character they placed it in the center of the carpet. We used interactive writing to write the things the animals brought with them as we retold the story. All of my kids wrote on dry erase boards while one child wrote the word to go with the character.



This book is perfect for describing a character. My students always want to use the words "good" and "nice", but this book worked well for pushing them to use other words. The text is simple so it was a little easier to get my kids to find other words to use when describing bear. 
We drew and wrote about other things we had to share just like bear and all of the other animals in the story. 


10 comments:

Rachelle said...

Oh that's so cute!!! LOVE!

Carolyn Kisloski said...

Thank you for the freebie, April! I love this book. It's always a favorite.
Carolyn
Kindergarten: Holding Hands and Sticking Together

Bri Hardy said...

I love it! Thanks so much! Hey, I thought you might like this: check out my FREE gingerbread boy and girl clipart-http://theartofteachingintodaysworld.blogspot.com/2013/11/gingerbread-boy-girl-clipart-giveaway.html

LS K teacher said...

Thank you so much for sharing! I love your ideas!

Jennifer said...

I love this! I thought about using this for my evaluation...Did you do all 3 activities(retelling, describing, and the writing) in your lesson? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated! :)

Mrs. Larremore said...

I would do the retelling with the pictures and the things for sharing together. You could probably follow it up with the independent writing sheet.

or I would do the describing bear, then review the retelling and sharing from the day before and then do the independent writing part.

Jennifer said...

Thank you!

Lee Ann said...

I love these ideas and plan to do them next week! How exactly did you do the interactive writing with the students as they were writing on the dry erase boards? When did they write the words on the board, after each was written or as the student was writing it? I'm just not sure about how to exactly do interactive writing? Thanks for the sharing the freebies! I would also love the A Turkey for Thanksgiving retelling pictures if you have them; that is one of my all-time favorite Thanksgiving stories. :)

April Larremore said...

I just made a post to answer your questions about interactive writing. I also included a link to another blog post that has a lot of interactive writing specifics.

Justin said...

In this way, next time you are purchasing an auto, there is no compelling reason to stress over extreme loan costs. What's more, most vital actuality is that there are no concealed terms or conditions. cash advance