Friday, October 4, 2013

Where's My Mummy?

This week we continued working on making connections and retelling using the characters. Here is what we did with the book Where's My Mummy? by Carolyn Crimi.

We acted out the story by retelling it using the characters. 
Then I placed the character cards in random order and had the students sequence them in a flow map to retell the story. 

We made mummy faces to go with our flow map. I found lots of mummy crafts online. I considered using wiggle eyes, but in the end I liked the way the eyes stood out on the mummies from Kindergarten Rocks. This is a modified version of that mummy. I gave my students different sized squares of construction paper so that the faces were different sizes. We clipped corners and rounded to make the eyes and tore white paper to make the cloth strips. 

We worked with our elbow partners to sequence the characters and retell the story using pictures of the characters. 

We also made connections with baby mummy. This was very hard for us to do last week, but we are getting better at it :) You can get the pictures for the retelling and flow map here

4 comments:

Nicole Ricca said...

This is absolutely adorable! And I love how the activities incorporate the common core (retelling, characters, etc). Brilliant :)

We Teach Like A Rockstar said...

Your mummies turned out absolutely adorable...and I love the flow map. I am going to do it in my room! Amber - Kindergarten Rocks Blog

Tara Ann said...

These are adorable! Where did you get the pictures of the characters for the story map?

April Larremore said...

Tara Ann- I got the clipart from Scrappin Doodles. You can get them all by following the link in the post.