Monday, October 7, 2013

Textured Scarecrows

In science we talked about properties of matter all week long. We focused on color and shape and sorted pattern blocks by shape, color, and size. 


Then we learned about texture. We brought items from home that were rough, smooth, sticky, hard, and soft. I sent notes home with my students requesting a specific texture so that we would have items in each category. We talked about how some items had more than one of the textures. 

We also looked at books where illustrators showed texture through their illustrations. We looked at Lois Ehlert's book Boo to You! and Simms' Taback's book Joseph Had a Little Overcoat. Then we made texture scarecrows. This idea came from my artsy friend Amanda. 

We used patterned pieces of scrapbook paper on the hat. Then we used thread and hatch marks to add the feel of texture. I wanted to use sand paper for the nose, but I was unable to locate any in the art room. We also crumpled paper to add texture.   

2 comments:

Jennifer White said...

LOVE those scarecrows!
Jennifer
First Grade Blue Skies

Mrs. C said...

This is the cutest thing ever!!!! OMG! I have to try this!