Saturday, October 26, 2013

Reading Stamina Party

Last week I came across the idea for a stamina party and thought I have to do that with my kids because they have worked so hard to build their stamina and done such a great job at doing it. It is truly one of my favorite times of the day- looking out and seeing all of my kids reading the pictures, retelling stories, and pointing and reading words all at the same time.

Marsha from A Differentiated Kindergarten used these really neat fort kits that she put together, but I had to improvise just a bit. I brought in full and queen sized flat sheets to drape over the tables. My students brought in beach towels or small blankets and flashlights We turned down the lights except for our class lamp and all read in the forts by flashlight. While we read we also ate letter cookies that I found at Kroger because my students know that letters go together to make words and we read words :)

I thought the forts may throw our reading off for the day, but my kids this year are so awesome that they kept on reading forts, flashlights, cookies, and all!


Becky said...

That looks like so much fun! I've had reading parties with my kids before, but I never thought of doing it as a stamina reward. I would love to do this with my kiddos!

Thanks for sharing!

Compassionate Teacher

Miki said...

How long did you have them read? Did any of them get antsy after a while? Did you do it in the morning or wair til the afternoon?
What a great idea!!!

Mrs. Larremore said...

They read for 15 minutes. That's how long we have built our stamina up to. They know the three ways to read and they use one or more of those ways to read to self. They are never antsy. I usually have to stop them at 15 minutes. We do this in the morning .