Friday, October 4, 2013

Making Connections and Retelling Stories

This week in CAFE and the daily five. We reached 12 minutes of stamina one day and then 3 the next :( We were back to 8 today. I can at least say that when they break stamina it is because they are talking about their books with each other.
Here are a few things we are doing during our accuracy mini lessons. We are focusing on the CAFE strategy "Identify the first sound in a word." This ABC Cut and Paste Font Sort came from The Moffatt Girls. The Dab a Sound activity is a freebie from the Printable Princess

I just picked up this unit from the Printable Princess also. It contains sheets for differentiating between letters and numbers, letter and number formation, letter matching, uppercase and lowercase matching, beginning sounds, number matching, ten frames, and counting to 10. I just ordered Do-a-Dot Art Markers from Amazon. For now my students are using highlighters. They love highlighting as much as they love dabbing. 


We use Heidisongs Sing and Spell CD's to practice our word wall words everyday. We are also using wipe boards to practice our words and writing sentences. We started journal writing this to get us ready for work on writing. 

During my comprehension mini-lessons I combined lessons from Kim Adsit's Digging Deeper Reader's Workshop unit and her Fairy Tales Reader's Workshop unit. We started our week by adding making connections to our character anchor chart and making connections with Baby Bear in the book Goldilocks and the Three Bears. At the end of the week we made connections with Baby Mummy in Where's My Mummy. We are still focusing on the CAFE strategy retelling a story using the characters. 


We added setting to our learning this week. We made this anchor chart from Kim's Digging Deeper Reader's Workshop unit. I keep one to two anchor charts on easels beside my rocking chair. We touch and refer to them every day for about a week. Then I move them to another spot in the room. I leave them up for awhile. Once I feel like we known the information on the anchor chart without looking at it or referring to it then I take the chart down. My room would be over run with charts if I kept them all up all the time. 
This mini-lesson was inspired by Golden Gang Kindergarten. We read Goldilocks and the Three Bears. Then we illustrated the setting. 
We made this fairy tale anchor chart from Kim's Fairy Tales Reader's Workshop unit. we used a very simple version of Jack and the Beanstalk to look for these characteristics and to retell a story using the characters. 

We used picture cards from Kim's Fairy Tale unit to practice retelling a story using the characters. We worked in small groups to do this. These cards are for Jack and the Beanstalk. We added the CAFE strategy "retelling a story using the pictures."
At the end of the week we made a flow map using the characters to retell the story Where's My Mummy? Then we worked with our elbow partners to retell the story on our own. You can read more about this lesson here


2 comments:

Heidi Butkus said...

Thank you so much for the shout out! I appreciate it!
Great group of posts today!!!! :)
Heidi Butkus
www.heidisongs.com

Liz C said...

I love your anchor charts! Well done!