Saturday, October 26, 2013

Five Little Monkeys Trick-or-Treat Math Fun

We are finishing up our unit on numbers 6-10 this week. We ended the week with the book Five Little Monkeys. We have been working on building number sense for a long time and using different picture books has really helped to keep my students engaged and wanting to practice the same skills over and over. 
We used a large ten frame and our own little monkeys to practice counting up from the number 5. Each time we started with 5 and counted up to find how many monkeys were in the ten frame. We started with the ten frame for more support and then we moved away from it and counted up using just the monkeys. 
We worked on one to one correspondence in several ways. We matched up monkeys with the animals they switched costumes with in the story. We also joined hands to show the one to one match between the monkeys and the animals. 

We continued one to one matching using just the picture cards. We also used this activity to compare sets and talk about greater than, less than, and how many more.
One of my students lined up all of the animals in a line across just like the monkeys. He did not have one to one correspondence in place. He thought that all he needed to do was make a line with the animals. These friends helped him by showing him he needed to turn some of the cards sideways to make sure each monkey was matched one to one with each animal. 
My students used unifix cubes and small monkey pics to act out what we were doing in the large group model and to practice one to one independently when we were done. 
We are still working on decomposing numbers. I have students help me model a few examples. Then I give my students their own pieces to work with while I continue to call students to model for us. This offers extra support for those who need it and gives everyone a chance to practice the entire time. It is also a great way for me to assess who has mastered the skill and who has not. This has been the most effective method I have found for keeping all of my students engaged and learning the entire time. 


We used the large ten frame and monkeys to figure out how many more we needed to make 10. We work with 10 every day as part of our daily number sense routines and this was just another way of practicing that. Students used their own ten frames and monkeys while we worked off the large ten frame. My students are really getting great at subitizing. 
We also did some show me math with our little monkeys. I got this idea from a Marcy Cook in-service. I said things like "show me 8" or "show me less than 5" or "show me more than 6", etc. Students can show me by making sets or showing me the number or doing both. 
Take a look at my little one who is laying down. After multiple conversations about this I eventually tripped over him backward and kicked the little girl in red in the eye :( Black eye style and all. That's why she has an eye pack. Who knew that math could be so exciting??!!?? 

You can  grab the monkeys clip art here

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

This is WONDERFUL!! I love it! :) Where did you get (or how did you make) the large 10 frame?? I want one! My kids would go bananas over it!

Stephanie
MaMa Goose's KinderGarden
http://mamagooseskindergarden.blogspot.com

Mrs. Larremore said...

Stephanie,

I just made a post about how I made the ten frame. Let me know if you have any more questions after you read it :)

The Science School Yard said...

I love your blog. I have used several of your ideas for my science lessons for my littles grades K-2. I saw your hula hoop idea and thought I could twist that to make it work for my animal unit. Thanks for the inspiration.