Saturday, September 21, 2013

This Week in Math: Numbers 1-5

We are still working with the numbers 1-5. We have 90 minutes for math and we are no longer supposed to be doing calendar so it is a lot of time to fill. I am in the process of creating a math board instead of a calendar board. It has taken me some time to decide what I want on the board. I hope to have it all up by the end of next week.

Here is what we did in math this week...

We warm up everyday with several counting routines. We started subitizing this week. I purchased my subitizing dots cards from Little Minds at Work.

We tossed a bean bag and named the number it landed on. First we all tossed the bean bag with the numbers in order then I mixed them up and we did it again.


We used a large ten frame, a large foam die, and some foam feet to count and practice one to one. We also worked on knowing if we needed to take feet away or add feet to the frame each time based on the number rolled. This was also great practice for filling in a ten frame and seeing the number represented. 


We rolled dice, counted the dots on the die, and graphed what we rolled. Then we described and shared our graphs. 

We played shake and spill to decompose 5.


We used these number sense anchor charts from Little Bird Kindergarten to do lots of number formation skywriting and number writing on dry erase boards. We also used the charts to talk about multiple representations of a number. 


We used these recording sheets from Little Minds at Work. Instead of me just making one large number anchor chart I used these recording sheets so my students could make their own chart while I made mine. 

If you do not want to make your own pieces for your number anchor charts or if you do not want to hand write them Deanna Golden has a great set for the numbers 1-10. 

We also worked in our math work stations each day. At this point I have a pathway counting game, play doh number mats, and the ten frame foot activity in my stations. The other three are still math manipulatives. 

Here are a few of the fun songs we sang in math this week...




We acted out Five Little Fish by Jack Hartmann using fish counters and math blue "water" math mats. 






18 comments:

Jennie Oosterhouse said...

Why can't you do calendar? We just adopted a new series (Bridges) and it has a huge calendar component They call it Number Corner and it is way more than just a calendar. I love all your games and ideas.

Mrs. Larremore said...

We follow our state's standards rather than common core. Our state math standards are changing. The kindergartners we have now will be the first tested under the new standards. They took calendar (days, months, ordinals, and pictorial patterns) out of our math curriculum. We also keep getting the speech "stay in your lane" meaning do not use any of your instruction time on anything that is not in YOUR own grade level's curriculum. I am working on adding some counting components to a board.

Diane Decker said...

We are not to focus on calendar either and we follow common core.

Laura Darm said...

I will be interested to see what you do with a math board.

Plants seeds of knowledge...for our future! said...

We follow common core, I still tech calendar it is the best way to help them understand place value which is a commoncore standard.

Heidi Butkus said...

This all looks great!
I love the activities that you are doing.
As for calendar, I'm surprised that so many teachers are being so micro-managed over it. Or maybe I should NOT be surprised? :)
It's just another way to teach a lot of important concepts, in my opinion. I always taught a lot of "extra" things along with the calendar that made it worthwhile, I thought...
Heidi Butkus

Amy said...

I love your giant 10 frame! We just played "Build It" on Friday (TERC). The kids will love this:)

Mrs. Larremore said...

Heidi,

We are on the same page! I don't get it either. My kids have been missing out. I am working on putting something in its place though. Just have to be crafty about it :( it makes no sense.

Megan said...

I'm loving these posts about your week in math. Please keep them up!

Miss Trayers said...

It looks like your kiddos are having a blast learning math! :) Thank you for sharing those videos-always on the lookout for quick ways to keep their attention and those clips seem to do that.

NotJustChild'sPlay

Jen Stanjeski said...

In one of our pictures it shows your word wall and then what looks like construction paper with sight words on it? Can you tell me what you do with those? Thanks again for your posts. I love it!

Jessica Onyszczuk said...

CAN YOU TELL ME WHERE YOU GET YOUR MATH WORKSHEETS SUCH AS THE ROLL A NUMBER AND GRAPH AND THE COUNTERS WORKSHEETS?
THANKS!! I FOLLOW YOUR WEBSITE EVERY SINGLE DAY!!!!

April Larremore said...

Jessica,

I use those sight word cards when we sing HeidiSongs sight word songs. The sight word is on the front of the sheet of construction paper and the words and motions to Heidi's song that matches it are on the back. You can download the words and motions to Heidi's sight word songs for free from her website. I love her CD's.

April Larremore said...

Jessica- here is the link to the post for the roll and graph sheet
http://teachwithlaughter.blogspot.com/2012/09/math-work-station-freebie.html

April Larremore said...

Jessica,

My teammate gave me the decomposing sheet. She can't seem to find where she got it from online. I found this one though. It is similar and free too.
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/231583605810695467/

Debora Marines said...

I start teaching on Monday, and I'm very excited to try your math activities. I love the bean bag throw game. I am always looking for ways to incorporate gross motor activities into the curriculum.

Anonymous said...

What is the shake & spill game?

Deb Marines said...

Shake a certain number of 2 different sided beans and tell answer. So shake 5 beans that are white on one side and red on the other. You could answer 3 red and 2 white makes five. Or 4 white and 1 red makes 5....etc. or you can record on a sheet.