Monday, August 12, 2013

Updated Emergent CAFE Menu Signs

I made some changes in the CAFE signs I used last year. I used a smaller font because I ran out of room on the board and I changed some of the picture icons. You can download the new signs here. The CAFE headings came from Ginger Snaps and you can download them for free here.

I pre-made my CAFE signs and icons to save time during my mini-lessons. When I introduce a new strategy, I will read the sign with my students then discuss the icon with them. Then I will have them explain it back to me as well as a partner. We will place the signs and the icons on the CAFE board together and I will refer to the strategies every time I use them. The key to getting your students to use the CAFE board and the strategies on it is to involve them in placing the strategies on the board and to model using the strategies on it daily. If you just add the signs to the board or put them all up at once they will not hold any meaning for your students and they will not use them. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man! This is exactly what I was looking for! I am starting Daily 5 this year and I just couldn't picture what CAFE looked like in Kinder. This picture and signs help me out SO much

Lori G. said...

Love these...thanks! I can't seem to print these for some reason...hummm? Is there anywhere else I can find these so I might have some success? I'd love to use these in my kinder classroom.

Lori G.

Mrs. Larremore said...

Lori,

Try using a different browser. That is generally the problem. If that doesn't work then email me and I will try sending them that way.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thank you for the cards! I would like to revamp my reading next year and use more of a CAFE wall with my kinders and this will help SO much!! Thank you!!

sas19621 said...

Love these cards. Thank you so much April for taking the time to make the Australian spellng version. I have made and laminated the cards and ready to start using them this week, they will be just what I need.

Justin said...

In the event that closeouts alarm you, or on the off chance that you need financing, there's never been a superior time to deal with an auto merchant. cash advance