Sunday, August 11, 2013

Tweaking Daily Five

Now that I have one year of doing the daily five behind me, it is time to start thinking about this year and what worked last year and what I need to tweak or change up.

Last year I placed baskets with markers and crayons around the room for students to use when working on writing. Obviously, I did not have enough baskets for everyone so my students would share. I felt like this distracted them from their writing. This year I am giving each student a plastic cup of markers for them to keep in their cubbie. If they go to work on writing then they can go and get their cup and find a place to work.  
This is a picture of what I did last year. This year I will place a cup of markers (like the one above) in each of their cubbies.

Last year I waited awhile before allowing my students to have full choice in their rounds and when I did start I did not keep track of where they were going. This year I am going to implement choice earlier on and use a recording sheet to track where they are going. I found this one from Lyndsey Kuster (A Year of Many "Firsts"). Based on further reading (The Daily Five Workshop Book by the Gail Boushey & Joan Moser), I am going to make my students go to read to self and work on writing everyday. I plan to do three rounds a day so they will have choice in the order they do them in and in one of the rounds they do. I also plan to tell the students that I am going to work with that they are coming to me before everyone starts to make their choices. By knowing they are coming to me up front I think it will help with the disappointment of not getting to go somewhere else during that round.

Last year I only did two rounds and I did not do a very good job of teaching in a mini-lesson format. This year I am going to use most of my ELA block for daily five so I can do 3 rounds. I am also going to write  my ELA plans in more of a mini-lesson format to help me break my teaching up. After revisiting the CAFE book I plan to format my daily five time as follows: a mini-lesson focused on comprehension- a round of daily five- a mini lesson on accuracy- a round of daily five- a mini lesson on fluency or vocabulary- a final round of daily five- share time- writer's workshop. My mini-lessons will be determined by the emergent CAFE menu, my curriculum, and my students' needs. 

Last year when students went to word work they were expected to stay there the full 15-20 minutes. Again, based on further reading I am going to have them do about 10 minutes of work work and then move to work on writing if they need to. I noticed that after awhile some of my students had a problem staying on task for the full time. I think giving them the option of moving to writing will help this. I am also going to change up my word work options. Along with making words using different manipulatives and materials I am going to have a word family and word sort tub. Last year I had students choose the words they spelled from the word wall. This year I am going to change that by having them only work with the new words for the week. I think this might help with their focus too. 

Last year I waited until my students reached 15 minutes of reading stamina to add a new station. This year I am going to start adding new stations once they have reached 7-8 minutes of stamina. 

Last year I tried having my students shop first thing in the morning. This was oftentimes hectic and hard to manage. This year I am going to have my students shop during a round of daily five. Each table will shop on a different day. Eventually they will get into a routine and be able to to manage this without me. 

Listen to reading was my biggest thorn last year. I am going to add it last this year and I think I have decided on a regular CD player with an adapter that I can attach several pairs of headphones to. This seems like the sturdiest idea and the cheapest. Everyone had great suggestions for how to handle this station, but since I do not have access to a lot of the technology suggested I think am going to try this route. 

Last year I did not use plastic clips to hold their spots in their writing notebooks. Consequently, they wrote all over the place. This year I am going to use the clips to hold their spots. 



13 comments:

Mrs. Thompson said...

I am loving all of these Daily Five tweaks. It definitely got me thinking of what I need to modify for this year. Can you tell me what kind of clips you used to hold their spot in their notebooks?

Mrs. Thompson
Adventures in Teaching (A First Grade Blog)
My TpT Store

PS I can't wait to meet you! :)

Christie Neise said...

Hi there! I did 3 rounds last year it went really well. I'm doing 4 rounds this year: comprehension, accuracy, fluency, and grammar/vocabulary. Plus a separate writers workshop block. I hope my K kids can handle it! I have a K CCSS/CAFE scope and sequence that might interest you. Let me know if your interested I can send you a preview. Also with the word work my students had to be able to handle 25-30 because of LLI by November!! I had them do a must do from the rotation board then they got a free choice, it worked out. Check out my blog for the word work. Good luck this year!

http://musingsofaprimaryteacher.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I so enjoyed your reflections from last year. Last year I moved from second to k. Ni had not taught k in quite a few year. ( like 13!). Needless to say, implementation is very different for the two. I could really relate to your tweaks and both confirmed and enlightened with new deas! Thanks

Renee S. said...

Love your ideas--I'm using Daily 5 for the first time this year--would you share your tracking worksheet for stations --this will be for my personal use only??

Thanks for sharing your ideas-glad I found your blog!

Renee
stewartr@greenvilleisd.com

Ashley Lichtle said...

I am a first year Kindergarten teacher and will be implementing the Daily 5 into my classroom. I found your blog very insightful and look forward to following it!

Thanks for your ideas :) -Ashley

ashleylichtle@gmail.com

Julie Stowe said...

Fabulous feedback on traps and how to move forward. I am planning to start Daily Five for the first time. Do you have recommended books I should buy and read first? I would really appreciate your guidance.
With thanks
Julie :-)
Mrs Stowe's Kinder Cottage

Teacher and Life Long Learner said...

Sounds like you have a great path set for your self and students :)

Mrs. Larremore said...

These are the books that I can think of right off the top of my head.

Dog in Boots (good fit books)
Chopsticks by Rosenthal (independence)
How to Teach a Slug to Read
A Crazy Day at the Critter Cafe (CAFE board)
Reading Make You Feel Good by Todd Parr (urgency)
Wild About Books by Judy Sierra (urgency)
Five Little Monkeys Reading in Bed (urgency)
The Jellybeans and the Big Book Bonanza (urgency)
The Best Place to Read (
Dex the Heart of a Hero (stamina)
The Reader by Amy Hest (urgency)

Mrs. Larremore said...

Thanks Christie. I just checked out your post and it was very helpful!

Mrs. Larremore said...

Mrs. Thompson- I plan to use these black/metal clips. I am not buying them from this company, but follow the link for a picture.

http://myitchyfingers.wordpress.com/2008/05/07/in-search-of-paper-clips-%E2%80%93-bangkok-thailand-trip-4/

Mrs. Larremore said...

Here is the link to the recording page to mark which rotation the students are going to.
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/The-Daily-Five-FREE-Classroom-Resources-784119

Christie Neise said...

I'm glad I could help!

Cheroka Roberts said...

Is there a place I can get that tracking form that you have?