Saturday, August 24, 2013

Room Pictures 2013-2014

I know I have posted pictures of my class for years, but I thought I would post them again this year for those who missed them before. I made a few changes this year from last year. I am waiting on my new carpet so it's missing in these pictures.

I have set up my room based on a few things I learned from Debbie Diller's Spaces and Places book and training. First, I chose a color scheme- lime green and blue. I chose a lime green polka dot border for all of my bulletin boards. I limited the things I put up on the walls to one alphabet, one set of numbers, one set of shapes, and one set of colors. I also placed my word wall at the front of my room by my whole group meeting area. I am waiting on my new carpet so the space is just floor and wide open right now.

I have all of my supplies, games, and manipulatives are labeled and separated around the room so that they are easier to find. For example, all of my math materials are at the front of the room near my calendar wall, my arts and crafts supplies are by my sinks, and my phonics and phonemic awareness materials are by my guided reading table. 

This picture shows my math tubs chart and math tubs, my daily five chart, and my daily objectives chart. My students have cubbies where they keep all of their extra supplies. 

These are my math tubs. My math tubs are based on Debbie Diller's Math Work Stations book and training. The tubs are numbered because sometimes I may need 3 number sense tubs, a geometry tub, and 2 addition tubs, while other times I may need 1 addition, 1 subtraction and the rest number sense. By numbering the tubs I can change them out as I need to. The blue pocket chart in the picture above will be used for my math tub rotations. I will post more about my math tubs once I get them started during the first week. 

My students' book boxes are located on top of the cubbies. They are white and a little hard to see in this picture. After school starts, I will add their pictures to the boxes so they are easier to find. My traffic light is part of my classroom discipline plan. I have several baskets located by my classroom door. These baskets hold my students' daily folders, nurses passes, rewards and incentives such as stickers and coupons, and everything I need for marking folders at the end of the day. The blue baskets on the brown shelf are my word work baskets. There is a table behind the brown shelf. It is an extra space where students can read and write during the daily five. 

The colored pirates over my table signify the color name of the table. All of the materials behind the kidney shaped table are reading materials I use for guided reading and whole group reading lessons. 

I labeled my tables with the desk tags from Fran Kramer's Tag...You're It! unit. I also used the unit to make name tags and labels for journals. 

My students use the loft and the pirate ship tub for reading and writing during the daily five. The plastic containers with white lids hold my units. They are all labeled so they are easy to find. The colored buckets hold readers and picture books in them. They are also all sorted and labeled.

My pom-pom cups are also part of my classroom discipline plan. The traffic light is used when students need time out, notes, or a call home for consistently breaking the rules. Folders are based on the traffic light system. The pom-poms are a positive reward system. Students earn pom-poms for making good choices and helping others out. This is strictly a positive reward system. Students only earn pom-poms. They never lose them. When a student fills their cup they earn a reward coupon. The rewards include incentives such as working in their socks, bringing a stuffed animal, eating lunch with the teacher, etc. I use a clear shoe holder and clear cups so I can easily see who is close to filling their cup up and to make sure everyone is being honest. This year I added Deanna Jump's class positive reward gumball system. It is part of her All Set You Bet Classroom Management Unit. 

11 comments:

Julie Stowe said...

You room looks fantastic. What's it like using round tables with the kids? I am about to get new furniture but have only used rectangle tables. Love your pom pom cups idea...clever!
Julie :)
Mrs Stowe's Kinder Cottage

April Kreitzer Wolfe said...

Your room looks great!! Love the certain around the kidney shaped table.

April
Wolfelicious

Mrs. Larremore said...

If I had a choice I would stick with the rectangle tables. They take up less space. I have always been given rectangle tables until last year. The round tables work well. They are just kinda big.

Mrs. Wheeler said...

Your room looks AWESOME!!! I love that your kids sit at little round tables!

Megan
Mrs. Wheeler’s First Grade
Mrs. Wheeler TpT

Maryann said...

WOW! I love the "Flow" in the room. Everything looks great and is very kid-friendly! Thanks for sharing and I continue to follow you!
Have a great start!
Maryann
brennemm@carlisleschools.org

Brian Harris said...

For the minimalist teacher (such as myself), elementary rooms are always chaos. Even if it's tidy and thoughtful, it's chaos.

For the ADHD kid, it's pure visual assault.

Anonymous said...

With the pom pom system--is this everyday or weekly?

April Larremore said...

My pom-pom system does not really operate within any particular time frame. Students can earn pom-poms at any time of the day and in any place. They earn them when I see them doing the right thing and helping others. It takes some kids longer to fill their cups up than others. Meaning those who work really hard to make good choices fill their cups faster and earn more coupons. Those that have a harder time making good choices still earn pom-poms and eventually fill their cup and earn and coupon. This is strictly a positive behavior system. I hope this makes sense.

Jenn Bates said...

Your room looks terrific! Love the pirates hanging from the ceiling.
Jenn
Finally in First

Fawn Chan said...

Very welcoming & organized. Your little ones are lucky to have you as a teacher.

Anonymous said...

I'm curious to know....did you (or someone else) build that loft for you? I'm so in love with it and thinking it's one was to double up space. :)