Saturday, August 17, 2013

Daily Five- Choice Chart

One part of the daily five that I wanted to rethink this year was how my students made their round/rotation choices. At first I thought I would use a recording sheet and ask each student what their choice was. After more thought I was afraid that would take more time than I had. I needed a system that was quick, provided student choice, and allowed me to limit the number of students in each choice.

After further reading and talking with a few teachers, this is the system I decided on.

Each morning when my students enter the room and put up their backpacks and folders, they will also make the daily five round choice. In the beginning, the only choice in the pocket chart will be read to self. I want my students to become familiar with the routine as soon as school starts so I am going to have them place their picture in the pocket chart even though all of the choices are the same. They will find their picture and place it to the left of the read to self icon.

After we have built our read to self stamina to 7-8 minutes I will add work on writing. Then students will be able to choose which round they do first- read to self or work on writing. 

As we add more rounds, I will add more icons as choices. Eventually, there will be three choices on each row. Every row will have a read to self and work on writing choice as well as one other round choice. Students will place their picture to the left of the row they want. 

You can find the daily five icons I used from Lindsey at A Year of Many Firsts here

2 comments:

Aimee Farrell said...

Thank you so much for posting this. I have been struggling on how to implement D5 in Kindergarten this year. I did it for the first time last year in 1st grade and I became the go to person because of how I organized it! :) The teammate I will be working with this year dabbled in it last year, but didn't start until January! I have been reading MANY blogs about this and found that it is possible to start D5 right away in Kindergarten. I love this way to make their choices. YOU make the choices, but the kids think THEY are making the choices :) LOVE IT!!! Thanks!
Aimee Farrell
mykindergartendream.blogspot.com

J said...

Thank you SO much for posting this! I have been told my school will be implementing Daily 5 this year, but we haven't been given the details yet and I've been frantically searching the internet to find out as much about it as I can. The choice chart was the hardest for me to grasp, as I have always chosen literacy stations for my students. Your idea is the best of both worlds!