Sunday, August 11, 2013

Books to Kick off Reading and Writing

I have missed posting and keeping up with everyone's blogs this summer, but I can finally say that my dissertation proposal is finished and I am just waiting for approval from my chair and committee so that I can formally propose! Woohoo! I hope to get back to blogging on a regular basis now.

I just did a little shopping on Amazon and I wanted to share the books I bought with you.

About the book: Chopsticks have been best friends forever. But one day, they come to a fork in the road. And for the very first time, they have to figure out how to function apart. This book celebrates both independence and the unbreakable bonds of friendship.

I plan to use this book with the daily five. I am going to relate how the Chopsticks gained independence with how I want my students to be independent during daily five time. 

About the book: A new reader trudges through deep snow with a mysterious suitcase in tow. He has something important to share with his faithful companion, who bolts ahead to wait at the top of a tall hill. The young reader climbs higher and higher, until finally, he is there, too. Then he opens his suitcase and soon the only sound in the world is the sound of the reader reading their very favorite book to the very last page…the very last word.

I plan to use this book during the daily five and teaching read to self. It is perfect for setting the purpose for reading and creating a sense of urgency. The best way to become a better reader is to practice everyday. There are several great books for creating a sense of urgency and that show reading is fun. A few of my favorites are Reading Makes You Feel Good by Todd Parr, Wild About Books by Judy Sierra, Five Little Monkeys Reading in Bed by Eileen Christelow, The Jellybeans and the Big Book Bonanza by Laura Numeroff, and The Best Place to Read by Debbie Bertram. 

About the book: Nothing ever happens to Ralph. So every day when it’s time to write stories, Ralph thinks really hard. He stares at his paper. He stares at the ceiling. But he has no stories! With the help of his classmates, Ralph realizes that a great story can be about something very little . . . and that maybe he really does have some stories to tell. 

I plan to use this book when we learn about what we can write about. This book makes a great springboard for early writer's workshop lessons. I plan to have my students brainstorm a list of tips from (the book) Ralph for writing a story, then brainstorm a list of their own tips/ideas for writing. 

About the book: A little boy explains to Mama Slug how to teach Little Slug to read. Here are a few of his reading rules: Attach labels to Little Slug’s favorite things; Read out loud to him; Point out words that repeat; Sound out words; Make a vocabulary list; Be patient! And, of course, it helps if Little Slug can see the book, so prop it up and set him on a rock! 

This book is perfect for teaching strategies that help us become better readers. To see what my students already know about reading I am going to brainstorm a list with them of what they think one should do to learn to read. Then we will add strategies and ideas to the list as we learn more about reading. I am going to use a schema chart format for this so that I can validate all of their answers and clear up any misconceptions as we learn more about reading. 


Katie said...

Great books and resources for me as I begin my Daily 5 journey. Thank you!

Glitter, Glue & Giggles: a kindergarten blog

Diana said...

Thanks for sharing these cute books- I'm off to check the library! :-)

Christie Neise said...

Wow this is a great list!

Julie Stowe said...

Thanks for sharing some new books. I appreciate the recommendations and quick reviews. I am going to order the Ralph and slug books...thanks again.
Julie :-)
Mrs Stowe's Kinder Cottage

Angela Piccoli said...

These are so cute for Daily 5! I am also trying to figure out how I can incorporate daily 5 into my reading block already planned for me!

Check me out on:

Justin said...

The pocket squeeze while buying one of these trucks can be very substantial, making money a flat out need. Getting the right fund organization to help you with a truck is not a simple occupation particularly on account of the huge entirety of cash included. Cash Advance Chicago