Sunday, May 5, 2013

Zipping to the Zoo

We went to the Fort Worth Zoo this week for our spring field trip, so we have been reading lots of non-fiction text and learning all about different zoo animals.

I usually have my class make a zoo mural with the animal habitats in it, but this year I did things a little different. Here are a few things from the week... followed by past zoo animal work I have done with my kids. 

Inspired by Todd Parr's bold artwork, my teammate had her students make these bright zoo animals. I loved them so I had my students make animal faces. We haven't finished our writing yet. We will add that next week. 

To make these animal faces, we painted the background solid color first, let it dry and then went back and outlined with black paint. 

We used Deanna's writing paper from her zoo unit to write animal facts this week, then we made animals to go with our writing. The gorilla faces are enlarged versions of the gorilla lesson from the TLC Lessons zoo book. The giraffes are also enlarged and modified versions from TLC lessons. The penguins came from a site I found long ago that no longer exists. We learned about all of these animals on PebbleGo. 










from the TLC Lessons zoo book

using Microsoft Word in the computer lab




crayon resist zoo animal drawings


based on the book Felicity Floo Visits the Zoo



zoo animal riddles










a few favorite memories from zoo year's past...


the year my own Abby girl was in kindergarten




6 comments:

Deedee Wills said...

How fun! It looks like you had a great time!!!

We have our field trip in little over a week! Yay!

Elementary special Education said...

Wow, that looked like a fun trip and the kids seemed completely engaged in the lessons activities that related to the zoo trip! Congrats on a job well done!

John
Elementary Special Education

Oceans of First Grade Fun said...

WOW!!!!
Such wonderful ideas!
Your students learned a lot!
Thanks for sharing!
Yolanda
Oceans of First Grade Fun

Chrissy + Nate said...

So fun! A few of those projects looked familiar to me :) Have a great week!

Carolyn Kisloski said...

I love all of the happy zoo activities you have up around your room- and it is a great time to study non-fiction. I bet you had a wonderful time. Our zoo trip was always one of my favorites, too. We can't go on field trips anymore because of budget cuts, which is so sad for some of the kids who never get to go to the zoo. Thanks for sharing! :) Loved the pictures, too.
Carolyn
Kindergarten: Holding Hands and Sticking Together

Fahad Ali said...

wow nice i really thanx because you have post best information in yours blog..
dental scissors
dental scissors
dental explorer
aspirating syringe
Hemostatic Forceps