Saturday, May 18, 2013

Our Finished Pond Mural

We finally finished our pond mural. We added beavers, fish, and snails.


To make the fish:
First, we cut a triangle out of the side of the plate to make the mouth. Then we used a black crayon to draw scales and an eye on the fish. You have to draw the black lines very dark so that the paint will wash over them. We used a paint wash to paint the plate. After the plate dried, we used paint to make fingerprints on the scales. 

To make the snails:
First, we clipped corners and rounded a white 5 X 5 square. Then we used a black crayon to draw a spiral line on the circle. You have to draw the black line very dark so that the paint will wash over it. Then we painted a brown or orange wash over all over the circle. We clipped all four corners and rounded a long narrow rectangle to make the body. Then used scraps to make the antenna. 

To make the beavers:
These came from the TLC Lessons Animals book. 







7 comments:

Carolyn Kisloski said...

I love that fish idea! That would even be cute for The Rainbow Fish, with some silver paint. I love the whole mural idea. What a great "non-fiction" mural! Thanks! :)
Carolyn
Kindergarten: Holding Hands and Sticking Together

thubbard said...

What a cute idea. Wish you had pictures of the fish, snails, frogs up closer to see the details better.

Mrs. Larremore said...

I will take some up close pictures on Monday and add them to the post :)

Kimberly said...

Hi April,
Stoppng by to visit...hope all is well. I love your pond mural! I've been crazy busy. Looking forward to June when I can catch up with everyone/everything.
Kimberly
Funky First Grade Fun

Marissa said...

I love it! I've been following along as you updated your progress and I must say that the final result is great!

Marissa
Here's the Hoot

Roger Sanders said...

Wow this looks amazing! Very pretty! I guess I should be doing something like this for my child who is in junior kindergarten. He will be so excited..

Lacey said...

This is great!!! I'm not a crafty person, so once we make a craft it usually stays up all month. I like this because it builds around one theme. I'm a new follower.I have a book giveaway going on, hope you can enter.

Lacey
Challenges Make Life Interesting