Saturday, February 23, 2013

Is Everyone Ready For Some Fun? Freebie

My friend Shelly just introduced me to this book. She found it in a recent Scholastic book order. I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it. The book is a great springboard for using speech bubbles, teaching verbs, using question marks and exclamation points, using onomatopoeia, and visual imagery through the text (words written in different sizes and fonts to show they are said louder or softer, etc. )


We focused on verbs for our lesson. We learned what verbs were. Then we acted out the verbs in the book and thought of other actions the cows could do on chicken's sofa. This book lends itself to lots of questions about the thoughts and feelings of the characters. 



My two most favorite ones...


Here is everything you need if you want to make the cows and use the speech bubbles. You can download the hair pattern and speech bubble for free here

Each student needs:
nose (1) 9x9 lt brown
head (1) 7x8 dk brown
ears (2) 2x6 dk brown
horns (2) 1 1/2x4 dk brown
eyes (2) 1 1/2x3 white
hair piece

Start with the head. Hold it upright so the short sides are at the top and the bottom. Clip the top corners and round. 
For the nose- clip all four corners and round. Use a black crayon to draw nostrils and mouth. Then glue onto head. Make the crayon lines first. They will smear if you draw them after there is wet glue on the face and nose. 
For the ears- Hold upright so the short sides are at the top and the bottom. Clip the top corners and round. Glue to the side of the cows head. 
For the hair- I precut these using the pattern. Have kids glue it on. 
For the horns- Hold upright so the short sides are at the top and the bottom. Clip the top corners and round. Glue to the top of the cows head, behind the hair.
For the eyes- clip all four corners and round. Use a black crayon to draw eyeballs. Glue onto the head. 

13 comments:

Mrs. Parker said...

I love Jan Thomas. I like the idea of acting out the verbs. Thanks for the suggestion.

The Cozy Classroom said...

Thanks for the great ideas!! Can't wait to get the book!!

kinder-gardener said...

Always looking for a good book! My kids would love this activity. Thank you! i am going to try this as soon as I can find the book!

Anonymous said...

I love Jan Thomas' book the "Rhyming Dust Bunnies". My students have really picked up on rhmying since reading this book. You should check that book out as well.

Melinda Chase said...

I just discovered your blog (love it already!). I also just found this book (also through Scholastic). The kids thought it was hilarious! I love your idea to go with it, and will try it this coming week! :) Thanks for the idea!

Melinda
melchase@live.com

deebi27 said...

OMG, funny and fabulous book, art and writing activity for a class. Documentation board here we go!

Christina Mauro said...

I just started (hopefully I did it right) a Kindergarten Linky Party on Literacy Stations on my blog! If you'd like to link up please feel free! Happy Sunday!!!

Mrs. Mauro's Kinderverse

AthenaPhoenix said...

My kids LOVE this book! Thanks for the ideas!

✪Crystal✪
Strive to Sparkle

FirstGradeBlueSkies (Jennifer) said...

I just gave you a shout out on my blog abotu this activity!
Jennifer
First Grade Blue Skies

FirstGradeBlueSkies (Jennifer) said...

Umm, that would be 'about'....NOT 'abotu'!! I have got to slow down!!
Jennifer
First Grade Blue Skies

April Larremore said...

Love it Jennifer!! Thanks for the shout out. BTW... I love your handprint owls :)

Karen said...

My class loved this book and loved doing your writing project and making cows. Do you have a book cover for the class book?
Can you send it to me?
Karen.Strawser@sbcglobal.net

Mrs. Larremore said...

I am sorry Karen but I do not have any kind of cover saved. :(