Saturday, November 10, 2012

Shopping For Books

This week in the daily five we worked on shopping for books from my book bins. This is how I have set up book shopping so that it is easy to manage.

I have 5 tables of students in my classroom so one table will shop each day. Now that we have practiced for a week I am going to let them shop first thing in the morning when they come into the room. I am having them shop at this time to save class time.

This week we only worked on shopping for "look books." At this point we have three "look books" in our boxes and 2 "good fit" readers. I will add shopping for "good fit" books in another week.

I had the kids sit their book boxes on my table, decide which books they wanted to trade in, lay the books they were trading in on my table, then choose that many new books from my bins. At this point I am not having them put their books away. I will teach them how to do that later. They can choose their new books from the ones people are trading in or from my book bins.



They loved being able to pick their own books from my bins. I can't wait to add "good fit" books to their shopping. 

I had to snap a picture of this little one because has was just too cute. He was so tired he fell asleep in the middle of work on writing. 

3 comments:

The Sassy Teacher said...

April,
Thanks so much for posting all of these posts on your D5 progress. They have been a beacon in the sea of uncertainty that is beginning D5 with 5 y.o's. We began D5 the last week of October and we have been doing really well. I have used some of your set up and meshed it with my own ideas and I think that it has worked wonderfully. I cannot wait to get everything put into place. Thank you so much and keep these posts coming.

Wintaka said...

I love your book boxes. Where did you get them? Were they expensive?
Thank you for your D5 wisdom. We are starting right after Thanksgiving.
Terry
THYordan@aol.com
Sunnyvale, CA

Mrs. Larremore said...

I got my book boxes from IKEA. I purchased 25 boxes for $10.

I am very pleased with the D5 results in my classroom.