Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Pigeon Drawings and Speech Bubbles

This week I combined Melissa's idea of "Mystery Mondays" with Jonelle's idea about drawing Mo Willems' Pigeon and writing speech bubbles for him.

We started with the book The Pigeon Wants a Puppy. I covered the word "Puppy" with a post-it note. Then I had students make predictions about what they thought puppy wanted. This was our mystery for the day.

While reading the book we focused on the author/illustrator's use of speech bubbles and how he changed the coloring and size of the text to show emotion. I loved it when one of my students shared that her library book  "Swim! Swim!" had speech bubbles in it. We talked about how we were all going to start to look for speech bubbles in the books we were reading. 



"I like a puppy."

"I have a crab."




"I like cookies."

2 comments:

Teacher and Life Long Learner said...

CLEVER!!! A perfect book for this lesson!

Anonymous said...

It is very important be aware of indicators of which give rise to require acetate glasses.