Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Lines That Wiggle

I taught the first lesson in our drawing unit today (thanks again Jonelle). I started with drawing different types of lines. The mentor text I used was Lines That Wiggle.

Here are a few images from inside the book that I found on the internet...



While I read the book I had my students make the different types of lines on each page using their hands. 


Then we practiced making different types of lines in our journals using crayons and markers. 







This looked like a fun follow-up to the book. This picture and idea came from Play 'n' Learn. Students could actually used different colors of yarn and make a picture. Then they could write a line of text that describes the picture to go with it. Students could also draw and color a picture with pencils, markers, and/or crayons then outline the picture or add lines with the yarn afterward. 

2 comments:

Mary Lirette said...

What a great mentor text! Thanks for sharing! :)

Mary
Mrs. Lirette's Learning Detectives

Miss Foote said...

I love this whole lesson! Also, I BOO-ed you.

Laurie
Chickadee Jubilee