Monday, October 1, 2012

Different Books Have Different Purposes

Sorry it has been so long since I posted. I moved last week and have been trying to catch up ever since.

This week we reached almost 12 minutes of reading stamina!! Yah!! I am so excited!! I love watching my kids read to self.

This week I used the book Dog in Boots to talk about how books have different purposes. I brought in several pairs of my shoes. Then I generated a discussion with my kids about when would be the "right" time to wear each of the different shoes I brought in. We learned the word "purpose" and that books, just like shoes, have different purposes. I read the book Dog in Boots stopping along the way to talk about the purpose for each pair of shoes dog wore.


I used this lesson to build up to talking about "just right" books with my students. I plan to have my students learn about "good fit" books this week and learn to shop for their own books next week.

Tomorrow I am taking away the "book nook" chart and setting my little ones free to read wherever they want in the room. I expect this to be chaos the first time around but I am sure it will get better with each day. I spent all last week telling my students the day was coming that the chart would go away and they could choose where they wanted to read. Each day last week we reviewed how many friends are allowed to sit in each area and how to walk to a reading spot. I plan to model the right way and the wrong way to find a seat without the chart tomorrow. My mini-lessons for the next couple of days is going to relate to finding their reading spot without the book nook chart.

5 comments:

Miss DeCarbo said...

Your kids are doing great! :)

Sugar and Spice

Maria Jamella said...

This book "Dog in Boots" is really amazing, I love the way it encourages readers to read more. This should be read by our students for them to realize the purpose of book and the purpose of everything.

Michelle Griffo said...

What a great way to explain different types of books! I haven't seen that book before!
Michelle

Diane Hubacz said...

Hi there! I just added your blog to the Texas Teachers Blog List! Come by my blog to check it out! Grad the Texas Teacher Blogs button if you want! We are a special bunch!

Thanks!
Diane
Teaching with Moxie

The Frizz said...

I just checked out this book from the local library to share with my students!

My firsties have been well established in the D5 routines for some time now, but I got a new student this week. It feels like I have to start all over with the D5 in order to help him understand the 'why' and 'how'. But with the help of your post, I feel confident again in just reviewing these concepts! Thanks for the tips :)

Keep the D5 posts coming! It's great inspiration!

-The Frizz