Friday, October 26, 2012

Comparing Characters

We have several strategies on our CAFE board now. I refer to the strategies everyday during share reading and read-alouds. This week we learned about characters and talked about how paying close attention to the characters helps us to listen for understanding.

I have taught my students that listening for understanding means to make sure that the story they are reading makes sense to them. We have talked about how we need to periodically stop and think about what we are reading and ask ourselves questions as we read.

This week I read the book The Biggest Pumpkin Ever. We focused our discussion and partner talk on the characters in the book. Then we made a Venn Diagram to compare them. Next week we are going to begin comparing the characters in the books we read to ourselves.

The Venn Diagram idea came from Kim Adsit's Apples and Pumpkins unit and the construction paper pumpkin came from the TLC Lessons Pre-Kindergarten book.



4 comments:

Becky said...

I love that book!! I plan to read it next week to my kiddos!

School Sparks Renee said...

Love your CAFE board! And I love Venn Diagram for helping kids name details and compare.

Anonymous said...

I was wondering you would continue to post the strategies that you have on your CAFE board? Thanks!

Mrs. Larremore said...

I just made a post with a download of the strategies I have made so far :)