Sunday, September 16, 2012

Whisper Phones

Toward the end of the week I introduced whisper phones to my class. Since we are still trying to build up our stamina and not getting anywhere quickly I decided I wanted to teach my students to use the phones before allowing them to use them during read to self. I modeled how to hold and use a whisper phone while I read a book aloud to them. Then I placed books in the middle of the carpet, had each student choose a book, and passed out a whisper phone to each child. Then I had them read their books using their whisper phones. We did this Thursday and Friday. For the most part everyone is using them correctly now, but some boys still want to blow in them and make noises instead of reading. Once everyone can read their book using the phones correctly and we have built up a little stamina I plan to have them keep a phone in their book box and use them during read to self.



I made my whisper phones with 3/4 inch PVC elbow joints, 3/4 inch PVC pipe, and decorative duct tape. You can purchase a bag with 10 elbow pieces in it from Home Depot. Home Depot will also cut the PVC pipe into pieces for you. I was able to get about 25 pieces cut from one pipe. I used Abby to test out how long I needed the pipe to be cut. Between 4 and 4 1/2 inches is about right. 

7 comments:

Christie Neise said...

This is great! This year I saw an idea from pinterest to se old broken computer headsets for the same purpose. You can see what I mean here http://musingsofaprimaryteacher.blogspot.com/2012/07/how-to-create-classroom-layout.html it's towards the bottom of the page.

Just out of curiosity how much did this cost you?

Christie
musings of a primary teacher.

Mrs. Larremore said...

Thanks for the link. I really like how you have your kids use their chairs and pillows for seating during read to self. It costs me about $12 to buy the elbow joints and pipe. My friend and I each bought a couple of rolls of the decorative duct tape and shared them. You could easily use one roll of duct tape to make all of your phones.

Kimberly Santana said...

I have a few of these that I bought from Scholastic last year- they work wonders!! I need to make more so I have a class set- thanks for posting about Home Depot, I'm sure it's cheaper... I'm gonna make a trip there this week :)

Kimberly
Click here for 31 Bags at 31% OFF
The Learning Tree

Carol Redmond said...

Cute phones. I have a similar set up for a small group but do not have the colorful design. We are also working on building stamina. We are up to 5 minutes....it does take a while in k! If you have a moment, take a look at my blog: http://www.carolredmond.blogspot.com/
Have a wonderful fall!
Carol
I enjoy following your blog!

lanvin bag said...

Lanvin Bag is the original designer of lighted handbags. Glass Handbags works with three key components: leather, hardware and electronics to create a bag that is practical, stylish, and top-quality. The goal of of this innovative company is to make quality lanvin handbags, totes & evening bags with function and style. http://www.lanvinbagonline.com/

Ms Ed.ju.kayt said...

This is awesome, love it!!

Sarah said...

I just love these whisper phones, it is something the kids can really relate to. They are customized with different prints and colors to make them more personal. All kids love to talk on the phone so this really is a creative and smart idea for the classroom.