Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Reading a Book Page by Page

I am almost ready to launch read to self and start building stamina. I am so excited!!

Today we focused on a very important concept... reading a book page by page. I used the book There's an Alligator Under My Bed to model this. I chose this book for several reasons. 1) It does not have a lot of text 2) The text matches the illustrations 3) It's simple but tells a good story and 4) The kids love it.
I introduced the mini-lesson by talking about why it is important to read a book page by page. Then I modeled the right way and the wrong way to read a book. I read the book all the way through reading every page. I had students give me a thumbs up if I read the book correctly. Then I modeled reading the book by skipping pages, reading the book again correctly, and reading the book by starting at the back. Each time I had students give me a thumbs up or thumbs down for whether I read the book correctly and then tell why  I was right or why I was wrong. They loved this. 

You can see why I chose this book. I needed to read it several times so I needed to be able to read it quickly and I needed the kids to like the story. I also needed it to not make sense when I skipped over pages while I was reading. 

I sent students off to read one last time in groups. This time I placed them in some of our special reading areas. 




I administered DRA this morning so I will be able to help those students who are ready for "good fit" books choose them. I also started sending sight word stories for homework this week. My students will read the same story each night for the entire week. Then I am going to move the story to a folder for their book box. I am trying to build up ways to put "good fit" text into the hands of even my earliest readers. 

3 comments:

Miss DeCarbo said...

Great post! I just made a note to read this book to my kids tomorrow. We started talking about Good Fit Books today and this will be perfect. :) Thanks! :)

Sugar and Spice

Jennifer said...

Love this lesson idea! And it's been a hundred years since I read that book!
Rowdy in First Grade

Julie Evans said...

Thank you so much for this post! I'm just trying to gather as much as I can about starting Daily 5 in my class. I love this idea! THANKS!!!