After all of my reading and research this summer I am really making an effort to have my kindergartners reading or listening to reading as much as possible during the day.
Here are the ways I am trying to increase our time spent reading...
- chapter book read aloud after lunch
- begin each lesson with a read aloud (even math)
- shared big book
- poem of the week
- the daily five
- read to self time once they finish their work
- homework (read a good fit book to someone, have someone read them them, sight word rings, poetry folder)
- morning message
- reading books during transition times
- guided reading (save skills lessons for whole group, use guided reading time to listen to your students read)
- morning work (read to self, read to someone, read books around the room, etc.)
If you have other times you work in reading during the day leave a comment and let me know. I would love to hear from you.
One of the inspirations behind my push to increase the time my students spend reading came from Donalyn Miller better known as The Book Whisperer. Christopher Lehman just made a great (and funny) guest post for her entitled What the Kardashians Taught Me About Reading Instruction (No, For Real). For a good laugh and some great tips on how to brand yourself as a reader check out Christopher's post here.
Thanksgiving Treasures-Tradition #5
10 hours ago