Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Retell a Story You Already Know

Today we reviewed the two ways to read a book that we talked about yesterday.

I modeled looking at the pictures and telling the story again by reading Have You Seen My Duckling. On each page I stopped and had students tell me what they noticed in the picture, what was happening, and how they could tell. 
Then I introduced the third way to read a book- retell a story you already know. We read The Kissing Hand yesterday and we read it again today so I modeled retelling that story with my students. I had them help me retell it. 
Then a student and I modeled how to sit together and read a familiar book by retelling it. Then I partnered students and gave them a familiar fairy tale to practice. I used The Three Little Pigs, The Three Little Bears, and The Gingerbread Man because I knew these were all books most of my students would be familiar with. 

 
This is what I learned... about half of my students were able to retell a story they already knew, others tried but struggled with it, and two boys said they did not know how to read. So... we are going to continue to practice the three ways to read together as a group. I am going to reread some of the read alouds from my lessons over the next few days and have us practice retelling the story after we are familiar with it. 

Here is our finished anchor chart. 

Tomorrow we are going to revisit our anchor chart, practice the three ways to read, and learn about how to partner talk with each other. 







9 comments:

Giggles and Squeals said...

So cute! I love it! Where did you get the chart? I would love a copy!

Mrs. Larremore said...

The anchor chart came from Kim Adsit's Blasting Off With Reader's Workshop Unit.

Lori Rosenberg said...

Great idea and beautiful chart!

ΡΌ Lori
Teaching With Love and Laughter
luvyorkies@gmail.com

crazy for kindergarten said...

Hi,

What wonderful fonts did you use?

Liz :)

Mrs. Larremore said...

The anchor charts in this post came from Kim Adsit's Blasting Off With Reader's Workshop unit. I am not sure where she purchased the fonts.

Sarah said...

I loved your article. It had great information. I think you and your readers might be interested in another article I found, about motorcycles and dry eyes.
giant teddy bear
article application

Buzzers Kuber Natarajan said...


Wonderful blog & good post.Its really helpful for me, awaiting for more new post. Keep Blogging!!!!
Educational cds | Kids Educational dvds

Kids Cds said...

It is based on the belief that children will learn through play, which is why the basics are integrated into play and taught to the children.

Buy cds Online India | Educational dvds

Anonymous said...

I wish to discuss a bit of great news to any or all person. I obtained a couple free prescription glasses on the internet.