Friday, July 27, 2012

Wild About Writing Wednesday... or Friday...

One of my favorite ways to write in the classroom is by making class books. We begin making them as soon as school starts and continue on throughout the school year. At the end of the year I divide the books up and each student gets to take home several of the books to keep. 

Today I came home and was super excited because an Amazon box of new books was waiting for me on my door step. One of the books inside was my newest favorite writing resource- 25 Best-Ever Collaborative Books for Young Writers by Susan Stroeher. 

This book contains everything you need to use take-home class journals, individual shape books for different concepts, and fun collaborative class books. There are templates for the covers of the books, letters to parents, and the book pages for the students. 

For years I have used Poco and Pop's Take Home Class Journals and my students have absolutely loved them. They always fight over who gets to take the journals next. 
This book takes the journals a step further with cute writing pages for each book and all the templates and patterns you need to make them. There is also a great rubric for using with even the youngest writers. A few of my favorites from the book are The Question Journal (a journal for asking and answering all kinds of questions), The Zoo Book (students write about a sleepover with their favorite zoo animal), Please Pass the Sugar, Mr. President (a class book about having tea with Abraham Lincoln and George Washington), Bed Bugs (students write about an adventure with a bug they find hiding in the bed), and Class Reporter (a journal for gathering and sharing information from the newspaper- this is great for teaching the media TEKS). 

Here are a couple of sample pages from the book so that you can see how it is set up and how great it is- parent letter, book cover, and student recording sheet. You will also find common core standards for the books as well as a list of writing strategies for teaching young writers. 

Can't wait to add these great journals and books to my class plans for the year!!



5 comments:

Lyn Goff said...

I LOVE class books (and your blog :)
Lyn
Mrs. Goff's Pre-K Tales

A Tale of 2 First Grades said...

I love making class books. I'll have to check out this book! Thanks!

Caroline
A Tale of 2 First Grades

VickyVinas said...

I have not created very many class books but I am hoping to rectify that this year. I definitely want to take a closer look at this resource. Thank you for sharing!
Gave you an award drop by my blog to pick it up. :)

- Vicky
http://themadnessthatiskindergarten.blogspot.com

Hollie Fumero said...

In the past I have always done class books. But over the past few years I have done away with them because of the focus on everything else. Last year my son went to kindergarten and his teacher was huge on class books and they created class book based on literature they read. When they completed the book they sent home the class book and the real book to read and everyone got a chance. I thought that this was a great way to introduce the work students do and instill quality literature at home. I have started to already buy Dr. Seuss bags from the dollar section so that I can incorporate this into my routine next year. Thank you for sharing.

Please follow me on my newly designed blog.
http://kindnesscountsinkindergarten.blogspot.com

Mrs. Larremore said...

Thanks for sharing Hollie. I love your idea!
Chalk Talk