Thursday, June 21, 2012

Word Family Work

This summer I am tutoring the sweetest little boy. I love the time I spend with him each week. This week I decided I wanted to start doing some word family work with him to help him in decoding words. I purchased a word family pack from First Grade Fanatics that I really liked so I wanted to share it with you.

Here are the things that I love about this word family pack...
1) It is hands on. There are picture cards and letter tiles for each word family so students can manipulate the letters in order to make the words. 
I kept the "a" and the "t" together the entire time to reinforce saying /at/ instead of /a/ and /t/. Then Jack and I took turns moving the letters around to change the beginning sounds. I had him move the letters and say the initial sound, /at/, and then the whole word blended together. For example- /b/ /at/ /bat/

2) The pack includes recording sheets for each word family which are great for word work with the Daily Five or for literacy stations. 

3) It includes funny word family stories that are great for reading together with the student or for highlighting words in. 
Jack and I read the story together. I read most of the text and he read all of the "at" family words. Afterward, I made "at" family words with the letter tiles, he read the word to me, and then highlighted in the text. 
The pack also includes recording sheets for each word family that go with finding words in the stories. 

3) You can easily differentiate with this pack. I offered more support by sticking to mostly three letter words.  There are tiles and blanks on the recording sheet that allow you to increase the difficulty of the words you are making, reading, and writing. I read the story with Jack and had him focus on the underlined words when looking for words to highlight. This narrowed down his word search a bit. You could have students read the entire story on their own, make their own words to find, or search for words throughout the entire text. 

I am looking forward to using these packs with my class as a whole group, in word work, and for small group intervention. 

You can find this pack and a few other word family packs from First Grade Fanatics here. 

9 comments:

Reagan Tunstall said...

That looks fantastic April. Thanks for sharing! I am going to snatch it right up!

Susan said...

I will have to check this out...looks good. :)
Susan

Kindergarten is the Best

Jennifer Tilton said...

I really like this! I enjoy teaching word families!
Jennifer
kindertrips

applesandabcs said...

Fact families are so much fun to teach! This pack looks great!

Michelle
Apples and ABC's

Lyn Goff said...

Hi April
I just wanted to tell you how much I appreciate your blog. It truly is a "really good education blog." :)
I also so appreciate being on your blog roll. Lots of people who come to my blog come from you. Thanks for all the great ideas you share and for sending teachers my way. Hope you win!
Lyn
Mrs. Goff's Pre-K Tales

Custom Essay said...

thanks

Angel said...

HERE YOU WILL FIND MORE THAN SIXTY INTERACTIVE GAMES, ABSOLUTELY FREE, PLUS EIGHT ILLUSTRATED CHILDREN'S STORIES.

This website wants to be a fun site where preschoolers can make their first contact with the computer world, and for that reason, the contents are educational, based on the saying: "Learn as you play!" www.cincopatas.us

Farrah Shipley said...

Absolutely love this unit! Thank you so much for all your great work!

Farrah Shipley
Fabulous Firsties: A Whole Brain Classroom

Kate said...

This is awesoome!!! I'll have to remember it for the fall. I have some things on my blog you may like so make sure you check it out. Oh, and join because I'll be doing a giveaway very soon!

Kate