Monday, May 21, 2012

I'm the Best Artist in the Ocean

Today I visited Tanglewood Elementary in Fort Worth for Artapalooza. I spent some time in Mrs. Balderston's room watching the kindergartners make these fun squids. I loved them so much, I had to share.

They started with an online video on squids and read the book I'm The Biggest Thing in the Ocean by Kevin Sherry.
Then the students made their own squids. They drew them with a pencil and then traced over their pencil lines with a black Sharpie marker. They made eyes on white paper, cut them out, and glued them onto their squid. 






When they finished their drawings, they read I'm the Best Artist in the Ocean. 

Since they are all the "best artists" at Tanglewood, they got sticky-back black mustaches to wear. Mrs. Balderston then took a class picture of all of them in their mustaches. It was super cute!! 


Take a look at these other fun squids I found.


From Deep Space Sparkle...

From Me and My Gang...

From Dali's Moustache...



And.... another FUN read-aloud by Kevin Sherry...

9 comments:

Jessica Stanford said...

EEEEEEK! I love this!

Blessings,

Jessica Stanford
Mrs. Stanford's Class Blog is Having a Giveaway!
My TpT Store

Jen said...

Awesome! I love their squids and how cute that they got to wear their own mustache. :)

Jen

pinning this post

applesandabcs said...

This book is adorable! I want to have them paint the squids and hang them from the ceiling! :)

Michelle
Apples and ABC's

Lisa R. said...

P-R-E-C-I-O-U-S!!! These are so cute!

Lisa
Learning Is Something to Treasure

Lohren Nolan said...

Love the squids! I'll have to remember these next year!

Totally Terrific Teaching Tools

Lohren Nolan

Greg said...

Love these ideas! I'm definitely adding these to my ideas for next year! I just posted my first blog post so I hope you will check it out and follow me!

http://kindergartensmorgasboard.blogspot.com/

Miss DeCarbo said...

SO adorable!! :)

Second Grade Sugar and Spice

Kristy Zhang said...

sony ericsson wt19i

School Sparks Renee said...

Those are adorable. And wearing mustaches is so clever! Renee