Thursday, April 12, 2012

Off to See the Wizard.....

A friend of mine used Abby's Wizard of Oz unit this week in her classroom. I love how she let her kids choose the colors they wanted to use for their socks, slippers, and sneakers. I also love the book she brought in to use with the lesson.

She did not read this book in its entirety. It is not a storybook. She used some of the illustrations from the more familiar illustrators. Tomie dePaola's vision of the Wizard of Oz was perfect for bringing in "sparkly" sneakers for boys.


Here are a few pictures of the other pages in the book. See if you can guess the illustrator.
Eric Carle

Chris Van Allsburg

Mark Teague

Paul O.Zelinsky

Janell Cannon





4 comments:

Erica said...

How cute! I love this unit. I would love to do this at my school.

Erica

Sprinkles to Kindergarten

Miss Trayers said...

I love the illustrations from that book! Thank you so much for sharing! :)

NotJustChild'sPlay

Jenn Long said...

I'm trying to find that book (I MUST have it) but am getting lost in the Emerald City! :) If you have a second, could you share a link?
Thanks,
Jenn

A Pirates Life for Us

Mrs. Larremore said...

Here is an amazon link :-)
http://www.amazon.com/Oz-The-Hundredth-Anniversary-Celebration/dp/068815915X/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1334408811&sr=1-2