Friday, April 20, 2012

A Night With Judy Blume...

Last night was "Judy Blume" and she did not disappoint!! She was so funny and extremely nice. Last night's event was in a little bit different of a format from the other Arts and Letters Live events that I have been to. It was all question and answer. We started with questions from a spokesperson affiliated with the museum and then moved to an audience question and answer session.

Here were my top five favorite stories that Judy told or answers to questions that Judy gave....

1) The character Fudge is based on her son who is now 48. In real life he did many of the things that Fudge did. He did not really eat a small pet turtle though. Judy found that story in a newspaper and just knew it had to be part of a book.

2) She did not always want to be a writer. As a young mother it was something that just sort of happened. She started with Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing which was originally meant to be a picture book. Judy did not actually pick the title for the book herself. She gave a list of titles to her editor and that was the one chosen.Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing is celebrating its 40th anniversary this year.

3) The first time she encountered censorship issues was at her child's school when Are You There God, It's Me Margret came out. She gave the school several copies of the book, but the male principal said they could not go on the library shelf. Judy has sense become an activist against censorship.

4) The final "Fudge" book was written for her grandson who told her "you must get back to work" meaning you must write more about Fudge.

5) She talked about her earliest trips to the library at four, the way she loves the smell of library books, playing librarian as a child, and hiding her favorite library book Madeline so that she never had to return it because it meant so much to her.

some of my original Judy Blume favorites...

The crowd was so big and the line was so long that there was only time for candid shots. Judy was so gracious to have personal conversations with everyone though.

Here I am with my my wonderful librarian friend, Elaine, and her friend Dorothy. Elaine is the BEST librarian there is!! Her story times, lessons, and creative reading incentives are phenomenal!! I miss working with her so much!! I love you Elaine!!

7 comments:

School Sparks Renee said...

Wow! Glad you got the candid shot! What a memorable experience.

Erin Eberhart said...

OMG, totally jealous! :) How awesome.


On another awesome note....guess who got her shirt in the mail today!?! SQUEAL! It's even better in person, I LOVE IT!

Erin
Eberhart’s Explorers

Jaycee Weaver and Lohren Nolan said...

Oh my! I love her! Your blog is amazing. Thanks for all the wonderful ideas. I just started one and would love if you could come follow.

totallyterrificteachingtools.blogspot.com

Lohren Nolan

Anonymous said...

How wonderful. A tiny bit envious. I adored Judy Blume growing up in the early 70s.
My 6th grader who is HFA & still a reluctant reader, reread and wrote about SuperFudge this year:). My 1st grader was introduced to the Peter Hatcher and his siblings last year in kindergarten.

Dual Kinder Teacher said...

I can't believe she has a 48 year old son! How fun for you! Thanks for sharing, although, yeah, I'm a wee bit jealous too :)
☼Libby
Dual Kinder Teacher

Ms. Kerri said...

I'm so jealous. Judy Blume was one of my favorite authors as a kid. Loved here.
Ms. Kerri and her Krazy Kindergarten

Sara S. said...

I'm so jealous! Judy Blume was (and always will be) one of my favorite authors.

Sara :)
Smiling In Second Grade