Monday, April 2, 2012

Making a Difference With Empathy

Maria Dismondy, author of Pink Tiara Cookies for Three and Spaghetti in a Hot Dog Bun, just kicked off "Make a Difference Monday" on her blog.On the first Monday of every month, Maria will host a linky party related to a different character trait. This month's trait is empathy.

What is empathy? Empathy is when one try's to understand someone else's feelings from their own perspective and then has a desire to help that person.

It is important to teach empathy because research has shown that children who do not show empathy are more prone to violent behavior as well as other negative actions and aggressively acting out. On the other hand, children who are empathetic are more likely to share with others, have better social skills, and are compassionate to others. 

Here are a few great picture books for teaching young children about empathy. 

To read about other books and tips for teaching empathy, to link up and add your own ideas, and to enter to win a bag from Thirty-one Gifts, go to Maria's post Make a Difference Monday- Empathy.  


Barbara said...

Wow, April - GREAT book suggestions, thanks.

The Corner On Character

Maria said...

April, thanks for linking up! Great ideas!!! I forget about great books so often. I love when others remind me how I can use them time and time again!

School Sparks Renee said...

I agree - empathy is a very important trait to instill in children. Thanks for the book suggestions. I'll try those. Renee

Deb said...

These are wonderful book selections and I am going to go and see if I can find them. Thanks for sharing them April.

Deb at Fabulously First

PragmaticMom said...

I agree with you. I read research that showed the best way to combat bullying is to teach empathy which was done by teaching kids to care for a baby ... this was a workshop for kids.

My contribution to the Linky Party is Top 10 Books to teach kids compassion…sion-ages-2-14/

Heather said...

I like using The Bandaid Chicken and I Didn't Know I Was Being a Bully to teach kids empathy and how their behavior affects others.

I'm going to grab that Pricilla McNoodleNut one, it looks cute!