Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Joey Pigza Swallowed a Key

My recent post about teaching students about empathy reminded me of a children's chapter book I read for one of my masters' classes. I had a child in my class that year with extreme ADHD and the book totally changed the way I saw him, worked with him, and have worked with all children with ADHD since.
Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key is about a young boy who can't sit still, can't pay attention, can't follow the rules, and can't help any of it. He has had problems his entire life and things are only getting worse.

Here is why the book made just a great impact on my life. It is told completely from Joey's perspective. Everything that goes wrong for Joey or that he gets in trouble for, you are able to see from his point of view.... to see exactly what he was thinking, what he really wanted to happen, and how badly he wished he could act differently. The book really helped me to see life from the perspective of a child with true ADHD and it made such a difference in how I worked with my student the rest of that school year. I strongly recommend it to all teachers no matter what grade you teach. If you do not have a student like this now, chances are you will have in the future.

Check out the other Joey Pigza books and find out more about the author, Jack Gantos, here


Ms. Kerri said...

I love those books. Thanks for reminding me off them. They definitely helped me understand a little more about ADD.
Ms. Kerri and her Krazy Kindergarten

Vanessa said...

I have never heard of these books but I am going to order them right now! I work at a school that does full inclusion so students like "Joey" are part of my classroom each year. I love my school and what we do for our students and I think this book will give some great insight for me.
Thanks for sharing!
Kindergarten Schmindergarten