Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Word Prediction

A couple of weeks ago I posted about my day with Linda Hoyt. My favorite vocabulary/comprehension strategy that she shared for the day was word prediction. In this strategy, you guide students in previewing a text by having them examine the book's title, cover, photographs, headings, etc. While doing this, you have them make predictions about the words they expect to see when they begin to read. With each word be sure to have students explain why they expect to find that word in the text. Chart their word predictions. This charting activity can be used as a quick assessment of students background knowledge. Based on student predictions, you can suggest additional words students may expect to find and need to know in order to aid in their comprehension.

I just came across this anchor chart from Kim Adsit's website that was made for this strategy.

4 comments:

Michele said...

I love this idea! I can't wait to use it when we get back from spring break. Thanks for sharing!

FirstGradeBlueSkies (Jennifer) said...

Great idea and chart!
Jennifer
First Grade Blue Skies

Tanya Solano said...

Fantastic!
Today we read a chapter from The Magic Tree House, Leprechaun in Late Winter. We stumbled across the word SNOBBY - I stopped and asked the kids what they thought this meant...here are some responses I got:
1. impossible
2. short and stubby {ELL student-how cute}
3. rude people
4. rich
5. someone who thinks they're really smarter than you

This chart would have been great for today. I'm for sure heading over to Kim's site and getting this one!
Thanks for sharing!
❤Tanya
Ms. Solano's Kindergarten

Angela said...

Whoa, I'm totally loving it!

Angela
The Daily Alphabet