Friday, March 30, 2012

Waiting For Wings Word Prediction

I have talked a lot lately about word prediction so I have been trying to use it in classrooms. Today I did a lesson using word prediction and the book Waiting For Wings by Lois Ehlert. This is one of my favorite Lois Ehlert books.
First, we looked at the cover and the title. I helped the students generate a discussion about what words they predicted would be in the text based on the cover and the title. I made sure to use the words predict and prediction. It is important we use that academic vocabulary even with our youngest learners. While I reinforced the word predict with phrases such as making a smart guess or telling what words they thought would be in the book, I made sure to repeatedly use the words predict and prediction as well.
It is important to have students explain their word predictions. Have them tell you why they predicted their word would be in the text.

I asked students to pay close attention as I read and to show me a thumbs up if they heard me read a word we predicted would be in the story.

After reading the story. We went back to our chart and went through the word list again. We checked off the words we read in the book. We talked about the words we did not hear and why they were not in the text. We also talked about words we used that meant the same thing as different words the book used.

Then we filled in the blanks on this chart using words we predicted. I called students up to help me write the words. The whole group helped sound the words out.
I followed this whole group writing activity up with an independent one. I had students write several sentences using some of the words from our prediction chart. I left the word list up for students to use as a word bank but I took the actual sentences we had written down.

Then they drew pictures of butterflies. 


If time had permitted, I would have made butterflies with the students to display with our charts. Here is an example of butterflies I made with another class of mine.

This butterfly art is a crayon resist. Students drew and colored their butterflies with crayons and then washed over them with watered down tempera paint. Students can use stencils to trace butterflies on their paper and then color them in with their crayons and finish up with the wash. 

2 comments:

Mrs. Tolbert said...

I absolutely love this! Thanks for sharing.
~Jada
Daisy Days for Learning

Kristina said...

We tried the word predictions today in my classroom and the kids LOVED it! I wrote about it on my blog and mentioned you (since the wonderful idea was yours :)...you'll have to see the picture of ours and what happened when I forgot to just check the words off and used tally marks instead...big mistake haha! I also didn't think to limit the words the kids chose, so we ended up keeping a tally on how many times we read "the" in the book! Whew! It was super fun though and my kids really enjoyed it. Thanks.

-Kristina at misskristinaskindergarten.blogspot.com