Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Velcro Manipulative Books

Just came across these velcro manipulatives from Heidisongs and I thought they would make a great literacy station so I wanted to share them with you. Heidi's velcro books were created to give young learners a hands-on way to practice reading and building sight words without having to use a pencil and paper.
The folders can be time consuming to put together, so Heidi recommends getting a parent volunteer to work on them or making them a summer project. They are like everything else we do, once you put the time in up front, you have them to use over and over. 

Heidi recommends using colored file folders and matching card stock to help in keeping all of the pieces separate. 

Heidi has Velcro Book Manipulative Books for each of her 5 Sing & Spell Cd's. I came across these Velcro books in a brochure, but had trouble locating them on Heidi's site, so I have provided direct links to them below to make it easier for you to check them out. 

I love any ideas and activities I can find that allow little ones to practice their sight words without using a pencil and a piece of paper. Kindergartners need lots of review and practice with their sight words, but we all know that young children lose interest when practicing any skill the same way all the time. Here is another great resource for your sight word tool bag. 


Mrs. Cupcake said...

These look awesome!
A Cupcake for the Teacher

kteacher1968 said...

i agree-they look great-looks like i need to get these ordered and made so that they are not looming over me to get made this summer.:)

Co-Kindering said...

I am super excited about these - thank you for sharing them. I also feel like I need to get them right away!