Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Difficult Behavior in Early Childhood

I recently found out about a book on classroom management in the early childhood classroom. I looked into the book more and based on what I found it looks really good so I wanted to share it with all of you. It is Ronald Mah's book Difficult Behavior in Early Childhood: Positive Discipline for PreK-3 Classrooms and Beyond. The book was written in 2007 and contains information on the ways family and society affect behavior, using time and timeout, setting boundaries and following through with them. how punishment does and doesn't work, effective praise, important lessons in choice, motivating students, reward systems, and dealing with deeper behavior issues. Looks like a great professional read!

You can learn more about the author, Ronald Mah, here.

6 comments:

Andi said...

Thanks for sharing. I really need to get this book. I have had several high fliers in my classroom the past three years, and I don't think this trend is going away any time soon.
~Andi

Reagan Tunstall said...

oh thank you! I need this!

Katie said...

It's always good to read something like this periodically. I sometimes get into a routine of bad habits and a good professional read snaps me back into shape!

Ann said...

look like a good read...

as a 4k teacher, the one thing that i have noticed that affects my students' behavior is most is lack of sleep. they sleep so very little and on such inconsistent schedules b/c of the busyness of their parents; the activities that the students partake in after school; and the fact that they are at school sometimes from 7am to 5pm or later. i find that it is much more productive to suggest modifying a child's sleep habits first before you try to modify their behaviors.

Annie Moffatt said...

This book sounds GREAT! I think it is important that we are sensitive to different cultures and their reactions. Great post!!

Kinder Kiddo said...

I have nominated YOU, your awesomeness, for an AWARD! Swing on over to check it out!