Thursday, January 19, 2012

Writing with Young Children

I have spent the last several days teaching writing in classrooms all over the district. One thing is certain, writing with little ones can be very challenging. Over the years and through others, I have learned a lot about teaching little ones to write. I have attached a ppt below with a lot of the ideas I have discovered through various resources, including books, blogs, other people, etc.

My two favorite kindergarten blogs for finding writing ideas are A Place Called Kindergarten and Kindergals.


If we do not give our little ones the support they need early on, they will not move ahead with the writing skills they need to be successful. Kindergartners needs lots of practice, lots of modeling, and lots of encouragement. Novelty and variety goes a long way too!

If you are working with parents, teachers, or older students who are struggling with writing, check out online writing tutoring as an intervention possibility.

I have tried to give the proper credit to others when using their ideas, but in some cases, I saved pictures from Pinterest and could not remember where they came from. Sorry :( If you have any questions about any of the information in the ppt, please comment below and ask :) and if you see a picture of yours and it was labeled as from Pinterest.... comment and let us know its your great idea :)
 Writing Ppt Revised                                                                                                   

18 comments:

Tonia said...

April,
This is a wonderful resource. Thank you for sharing all the great ideas. Do you do writing with thinking maps or Write Up a Storm?
Tonia
Mrsvento.blogspot

Kinderpond said...

This is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Jennifer

Megan said...

Wow, fantastic resource! Thanks for sharing.

Jessica said...

Such a fabulously thorough resource! Thank you for sharing with us :)

Jessica
The Littlest Scholars

Sue said...

April, this is absolutely amazing!. I found it very interesting and helpful. Thanks for much for sharing it.

Sue :)
theverybusykindergarten

Kim said...

Amazing! Thank you for sharing! I am always looking for new writing ideas/resources for my kinders!

Kim
Growing Up Teaching

Kristi said...

Thank you so much for sharing! It will help me tremendously.

Kristi said...

Thank you so much for sharing! It will help me tremendously.

Melissa said...

April, This is a great presentation...I love it! I love your blog!!! I love all the books you suggested especially No More I'm Done! I love Maryellen too! I can't wait to check out the morning message book. I don't know if you have read this book but I came across it this summer Marvelous Minilessons for Teaching Beginning Writing K-3. I think this is a great minilesson book for primary teachers...I love it! Happy almost weekend! Melissa

Louanne said...

Thanks so much for sharing - love it all! Writing with kindergarten kids is tough! I am always looking for new ideas and ways to encourage my kids. :) My Kindergarten Kids

katie said...

Thank you so much for sharing! This is always an area where I want to grow and I am always looking for new ways to encourage my young writers! Thanks for the wonderful resource!

Mrs. Larremore said...

I have used thinking maps, but I have never heard of Write Up a Storm. I will have to look into that.

Leslie from Gettin' Skooled said...

Thank you so much for sharing this. I have shared the link with my homeschool group and have to tweet about it as well. Just awesome!

Pam said...

Thank you so much! This is an awesome resource. The children at my school come in with very limited vocabulary. It is always surprising to me how limited their vocabulary is with simple objects. Do you find this with some of the schools you work with? I provide lots of experiences, but sometimes I feel it is not enough to help them expand their vocabulary. I see it impacting their writing/ reading... What are your thoughts? I would appreciate any ideas you might have!

S. Parker said...

This is a wonderful resource. Thank you for sharing it. It gives me a chance to reflect on my writing time.

Mrs. Larremore said...

Pam,

I know exactly what you mean. I just do my best to provide as many hands-on experiences as I can for them. Repetition helps too. I make sure to use lots of word banks, graphic organizers, and anchor charts with picture cues for them too. They end up needing extra support and visual cues for a longer period of time than those students who have a greater vocabulary.

Sabra said...

This is a great resource! I am a Master Teacher for a large agency here in Tulsa. Can I share your ppt with the other MTs I work with to help promote writing in our classrooms?

Mrs. Larremore said...

Absolutely! Feel free to share it with anyone who can benefit from it.