Thursday, January 19, 2012

Time to Sleep

This week, I taught a lesson on hibernation. I used the book Time to Sleep to introduce the lesson. After reading the book, we retold the story by acting it out.
 
If this had been my class and I could have worked with them over several days, I would have done a reader's theater with them. I wrote a simple one to go with the story. I would have had the students practice over several days and then perform it for someone such as another class, administrators, parents, etc.

I purchased a cute piece of skunk clipart, but have had problems receiving it through email. Once I get that worked out, I will go back and post the "cute" skunk. :)

 Time to Sleep Reader

Time to Sleep Large Pics

If you want to make necklaces or signs instead of using headbands....
Time to Sleep Pics

After reading the story and acting it out to do the retell, we pretended we were the animals in the book and we hibernated. We ate lots of food (popcorn) to get ready to hibernate, then we found winter homes and crawled inside to sleep (under the tables, with the lights dimmed or off), we slept all winter (made snoring noises), then spring came (the lights came back on) and we woke up and found more food (popcorn) to eat.

BTW... this child was supposed to be eating the popcorn with his hands.... he ended up with his own bowl (lol)

4 comments:

Pam said...

Love this! Thank you for sharing. I love the picture of the little boy eating his popcorn out of the bowl.... too funny!

S. Parker said...

I love it! I can't wait to use this with my class. Thank you!

laughinbrunette (Jennifer) said...

Love that book! Thanks!!
Jennifer
First Grade Blue SKies

Ms.M said...

This is so precious. Thank you for the freebies.

Ms. M
Ms.M's Blog
A Teacher's Plan