Sunday, January 22, 2012

a little bit of randomness....

This is a totally random post. It has nothing to do with anything related to teaching.... but I just finished a great book and I want to share it with all of you. For all of you ladies who love to read just for fun and who grew up with Rob Lowe.... you have to read his autobiography Stories I Only Tell My Friends. I just finished reading it and I would say it is one of my favorite books. I don't usually pick up biographies, but I was attracted to it because it was about Rob Lowe and I grew up with Rob Lowe and who doesn't love to look at Rob Lowe. lol.
The book is very well written, easy to read, and funny. It is amazing all of the people and events he has been involved in without even knowing who the people would become or how his decisions would affect his life down the road.  

Keeping with the randomness of my post.... I am going to share two really yummy recipes a friend recently shared with me that turned out to be sooooo good!!

Chicken Enchiladas
Ingredients
2 cans of enchilada sauce
1 cooked rotisserie chicken (I use the ones already cooked that you can buy in the deli section at the store.)
8 oz. cream cheese (not the low-fat kind)
1 can of Rotel
1 package of corn tortillas
1 can diced green chilies
Mexican Blend Shredded Cheese
Mexican Sour Cream (Mexican sour cream is my new discovery. It is creamier than regular sour cream and not tart. It is soooo good!!)

Lay out cream cheese to soften. In a sauce pan, mix the softened cream cheese and 1 can of enchilada sauce. Warm the mixture enough to melt. Do not let it get so hot that it bubbles. Pull all of the chicken from the bone. Include a little of the skin for flavor. Mix the chicken, Rotel, and green chilies completely ( I use my hands). Add the cream cheese/enchilada sauce mixture to the chicken mixture. Heat the second can of enchilada sauce in a frying pan. Dip a corn tortilla in the enchilada sauce, add the chicken mixture, then roll up the tortilla. Fill the pan with rolled up tortillas. Roll them tight and place them close together in the pan. Cover with the remaining sauce. You want them covered, but not swimming in the sauce. Cover with shredded Mexican blend cheese. Cook covered at 375 for 20 minutes. Uncover and cook another 10 minutes. Allow enchiladas to set before serving. Serve with Mexican Sour cream (This makes them so good!)

Taco Salad
Ingredients
1 lb. ground meat
package of taco seasoning 
1 can dark kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
Azteca taco shells (These are in the refrigerated section at the grocery store. They are close to the cookie dough and biscuits. You bake these shells in the oven and they make bowls. You can also use Fritos or tortilla chips.)  
 Shredded lettuce
Chopped tomato
Mexican sour cream
Shredded Mexican blend cheese
Chopped purple onion (I leave this out because I absolutely HATE onions, but for those of you out there who LOVE them, you can add them.)
Picante sauce or some type of salsa
Corn (You can use canned corn, Mexican corn, or frozen corn. I used frozen corn, cooked it, then chilled it.)

Rinse and drain both cans of beans in a colander. Chill the beans, cut up tomato, corn, and shredded lettuce. Cook taco meat as directed. Cook Azteca taco shells as directed. Keep meat warm until you are ready to serve. The contrast of the warm meat and the cool toppings is nice. Add the meat to the taco bowl. Then add whatever fixings you want. Top with cheese, Mexican sour cream, and salsa. Mix it up and eat! Yum!! 

I know these are random thoughts, but I just felt like sharing them with all of you. Enjoy your Sunday afternoon!




6 comments:

Lori said...

The recipes sound yummy! Thanks for posting them.
Lori
Conversations in Literacy

Mrs. Cupcake said...

Mmm you're making me hungry! The recipes look delicious!

A Cupcake for the Teacher

Allison said...

I read the book this summer and loved it! I passed it along to a lot of friends! Thanks for the yummy recipes,too!!!

Gladys said...

Rob Lowe is a cutie! Your recipes sound delish...I'll definitely be trying those out soon. Thanks for sharing!

Busy Bees said...

YUM!! I remember Rob Lowe! Everyone thought he was soooooo cute!!
Robynn
BusyBees

Mrs. Davis said...

No post is ever random! :) Thanks for sharing! We're having white chicken chili and cornbread tonight. Woot!

Kim :)