Thursday, October 20, 2011

More Shapes in Math Work Stations

I learned about the site Hummingbird Educational Resources a couple of years ago, but I have not been on the site in a long time, so I forgot how many great resources you can find there. If you are not familiar with this site, make sure you check it out.

I especially love the ABC, Phonics, Literacy page. It is full of great ideas for literacy stations and letter work.  There are lists for letter based art projects, letter dress up days, letter movements, letter science activities, and many other letter activities.

I found these ideas for shapes that could be added to my shape math workstation post.
Give students pipe-cleaners and have students create 2-D shapes. Then they can describe their shape to their partner using the attributes.

Give students magazines and have them find pictures of particular shapes.

Students use attribute blocks to create the shapes in the book Mouse Shapes. 
Then they describe their creations using the attributes. 

Students use pre-cut shapes to create pictures. 

Students use play-doh to make shapes. Then they describe their shapes to their partner. 

Pocket chart shape sort. 
You can use the pictures I posted in the first shape math work station post for this sort.

2 comments:

Cambria said...

IS there any way you can link to all the shape pictures that you have in the sorter? I cant find it, thanks!

Anonymous said...

I can't find them either. It has all the shapes I'm looking for. Where am I supposed to look?