Saturday, September 10, 2011

Nonlingusitic Representation of the ABC's

I pinned an idea from today that was similar to something I had done with my class, so I thought I would share.


 Here is what I did with my class. We practiced recognizing letters with nonlinguistic representation.

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: Alphabet Kids
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

more information on nonlinguistic representation....

Children use all of their five senses when learning. Children also acquire and retain knowledge nonlinguistically, through visual imagery, kinesthetic or whole-body movement, auditory experiences, and so forth. Teachers should take advantage of all modes of learning and encourage their students to make nonlinguistic representations of their thinking. This can happen by using concept maps, idea webs, dramatizations, and other types of nonverbal representation. When students then explain what they did or the model they made, they are putting their thinking into words. This can lead to new questions and discussions, which in turn promote deeper thinking and better understanding.

Robert Marzano names nonlinguistic representation as one of nine essential instructional strategies in his book Classroom Instruction that Works.


Kathy said...

That is my favorite! I recommend it to everyone.

First Grade a la Carte

Sarah said...

Very fun!! I am off to FIND that book!! Who doesnt want everyone to READ and WRITE!! ;)

Thanks for sharing a creative way to make connections w/ kiddos!!


Anonymous said...

I love this! I can't wait to do it with my class on Monday!


Amanda said...

I am so doing this!!!!

Kristin Wynegar said...

Wow! My kids will love this! Cute idea!

Kristin Wynegar said...

Your blog is so helpful! I am your newest follower. :)

Mrs. Husketh said...

I was just approved for a teacher account with Smilebox. What design style did you use for the alphabet presentation? I love how you see all 26 pictures at the beginning and then it zooms in and out. Is this easy to do using Smilebox? So far I haven't figured it out! Any advice is appreciated. I am eager to collaborate with a kindergarten teacher on this project. Thanks!

Mrs. Larremore said...

Yah!! It is super easy to use Smilebox. I do not remember what template I used, but it was in the generic ones. There were not that many, you may have to click on a couple and watch the preview. You should be able to look in the everyday slideshow options to find it. It has just been so long since I was on Smilebox that I cannot remember more specifics. Sorry.

Anonymous said...

Ummmmm Robert Marzano did not write Classrooms that Work. Patricia Cummingham and Richard Allington are the authors.

Mrs. Larremore said...

Anonymous- Thanks for pointing that mistake out to me. I meant the book Classroom Instruction that Works and when I made this post, I somehow got off and posted the wrong book. Thanks again for your comment. It's all fixed now :)