Thursday, September 22, 2011

Math Tub Ideas

I have seen a lot of good ideas for math tubs lately. Some of these are from blogs and others are from classrooms I have been visited this week.

I found this idea from Mrs. Huff's Kinderblog
Sort pattern block shapes by number of sides


100 Chart Puzzles
For younger students, start with a 30 chart for students to put together.
For great activities for the 30 chart and the 100 chart, go to Marcy Cook Math
Look under her booklists for the 30 Chart and the 100 Chart Books

Ways to Make 10
The students slide the beads down the pipecleaner.  
Then they record all the ways to make the total number of beads.
  For example:  0 + 10 = 10
 
From Mrs. Jepsen's Class
Play Doh Numbers
I know a lot of you are already using play doh to make numbers, but I like how this teacher added having the students make the number of play doh balls to go with the number they made. 
 
 
From Mrs. Lang's Class
More Ways to Use Play Doh
Write the numbers 0-10 on a set of popsicle sticks. 
To add extra support, draw dots on the popsicle sticks to match the number written on them. 
Students line up the numbers and stick them in the play doh.
 
From Mrs. Nieves' Class
The Staircase Game
Roll a die. Make a tower of cubes of the rolled amount. 
Match the amount in the correct amount on the staircase.
If you roll the same amount as previously rolled, you lose a turn.
The first partner to complete the staircase is the winner.
 
What Did You Roll?
Roll a die. Color the die that matches the amount rolled.
 
Math Centers and Games
Go to Kidscount1234 to find tons of great downloads for math tub games. 
Search under Math Centers and Games to find the downloads

From Mrs. Brandon's Class
Number Sort
Students sort numbers by curved lines and straight lines

Number Pattern Block Cards


9 comments:

Grade ONEderful said...

Lots of great ideas. Thanks.

❀Barbara❀
Grade ONEderful

Kristin said...

I love the staircase game!!!!! :)
A Teeny Tiny Teacher

Jim Wheelin said...

Those are amazing ideas! Thank you so much for sharing them. I have my kids doing kindergarten math games online, and they love them! I also have done the dice game, which they seem to like as well. Hope you have a nice weekend :)
---Best, Jim

Nicole said...

Great finds!

I gave you a Versatile Blogger Award here. My team and I regularly check your blog first for ideas! You've been a lifesaver!

Nicole

Lesson Plan SOS Teachers said...

I love the Popsicle sticks in the play-doh! Such great ideas using the things we already have in our classroom!

Heather said...

Your blog has inspired me and for that I have given you the "I heart your blog" award. Thanks for all you're wonderful ideas and activities!!!

kindergarten days

Rachelle said...

Your blog has inspired me and for that I have given you the "I heart your blog" award. Thanks for all you're wonderful ideas and activities!!!

Rachelle
http://sweetkindergarten.blogspot.com

http://www.trustedessays.net/ said...

A lot of useful information! I think that many will be able to get a lot of information for you!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic ideas but I do need to point out, for the shape sort game, that a circle does have 1 side that goes all the way round.