Sunday, September 18, 2011

Kindergarten: Tattle-Tales, Tools, Tactics, Triumphs, and Tasty Treats for Teachers and Parents

I recently came across a new book by Susan Case. It is the perfect read for early childhood teachers. It is full of funny classroom stories, teacher tips, quotes, and valuable teaching information. The book is set up in short snippets, which makes it an easy read. It has made me laugh, reminded me of my own funny teaching stories, and given me helpful tips for the classroom.

To help you get to know Susan a little better and to give you a little more background information about her new book, I decided to do an interview post about her.
Learn more about Susan below and be sure to check out her book at Amazon Print and Kindle  or Barnes & Noble Print and Nook.

If you do not have a Kindle or a Nook, but want to purchase the eBook, you can download Kindle for your PC for free then download the book and read it on your computer.



Meet Susan Case author of



Today, we have an interview with author Susan Case. Hello Susan. It’s nice to have you with us today. How did you have the idea to write your book?

I kept a journal of funny things my students did, or teachers told me, but it wasn’t enough for a book. My husband kept encouraging me to write about what parents and teachers would like to know. I thought of things that I needed help with such as behavior management, teaching reading and special education. Of course, I had to include my favorite children’s recipes with at least one for each letter of the alphabet to coincide with Fun Fridays.

Who do you believe should read your book?

This book is written for teachers and parents of kindergartners and preschoolers. It can also help homeschoolers because there are many creative ideas as well as resources. Grandparents have told me they use the ideas with their grandchildren. College professors have told me it would be useful for college students who are studying early childhood development or to earn a teaching certificate. I write of real life situations and problem-solving skills. The intent is to help one enjoy teaching, be able to laugh when the circumstances foster it, and assist children to learn through discovery.

What attracted you to become a kindergarten teacher?

It seems like I've always been interested in psychology, early childhood and good parenting. I felt I was too shy to become a teacher and graduated with a B.S. in Psychology and M.S. in Family and Child Development. I worked in social services. After my premature daughter was born, I wanted to help her through the special education I knew she would need. I went back to school and earned certification in Special Education. Later I earned certification in Early Childhood and Elementary Education. I have always enjoyed being around young children.

What was the best thing about teaching kindergarten?

Five and six year olds have unconditional love. They forgive easily and love everyone regardless of any cultural or special needs differences. Children are brutally honest but they can be so funny. They are amazed at the crafts and science experiments offered. I am always amazed at the amount of learning that takes place during the kindergarten year. Young children absorb so much and are eager to learn.

What was the most challenging thing about teaching kindergarten?

The energy needed. It can be exhausting teaching young children because you are on your feet most of the day and you cannot be lax in teaching, watching them, and being prepared. Their attention span is so short that you must have many things prepared in advance. Also, it can be challenging to please some parents. I was fortunate to have a supportive principal and staff. Our grade level planned together, shared materials, and encouraged each other.

What do you think is the most important thing for a kindergarten classroom?

Children love science. I had many pets including a tarantula, snake, ant farm, fish, iguana, turtle, crabs and visiting duck, bunny, ferrets, bird and even a horse—not all at the same time. We dissected owl pellets and had mealworms (which turned into beetles) and chrysalis (which grew into butterflies). Our school had a garden with rabbits and it was a treat to take a walk through the garden. My class won first place in the Science Fair one year for our worm experiment by exploring which kind of dirt they preferred. I know technology is the trend and it is very useful. But children enjoy hands-on real life learning about their world using their five senses.

What are some of your favorite memories from teaching kindergarten?

I still remember when a little girl realized she was truly reading on her own. Her excitement and the glow in her eyes would be hard to forget. My favorite writing in my book was adding the personal stories that touched me or other teachers. I hope they touch others as well to know that we live in a fascinating wonderful world full of positive actions. Perhaps the most inspiring chapter is “Everyday Heroes.” There is always hope, even in difficult circumstances or with a difficult child. If children know they love you, they can withstand your mistakes and encourage you to be a better person. Teaching and parenting is a grand adventure. Cherish children while you have the opportunity to help them grow into responsible, creative, happy people.

If you could give one piece of advice to a new teacher, what would it be?

Always be prepared and enjoy the children.

For those of us who would like to keep up with you, could you please tell us the best ways to follow you.

Visit my blog http://kindergartenbasics.blogspot.com/.I have many free educational links for children, jokes and parent/teacher tips.

You can also follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/#!/susancasetexas

You may purchase Susan’s book at Amazon Print and Kindle



Remember the innocent but goofy things you did as a kindergartner? Reminisce about your early years as you learn how to help your precious child become ready for school and have a successful kindergarten year.

Are you a kindergarten teacher who needs proven ideas and solutions for your classroom? This book is for parents and teachers of preschoolers and kindergartners. It will make you laugh and give you hundreds of ideas to help with behavior, reading, special education, science experiments, holiday celebrations, and recipes for Fun Fridays and for success.
Chapter One: Teacher Tattle Tales
Chapter Two: Celebrate the Holidays--Celebrate Life
Chapter Three: A Smooth Move to School
Chapter Four: Reading--the Greatest Gift of All
Chapter Five: Science--Survival Specials
Chapter Six: Discipline--Combat Duty or Common Sense Tactics?
Chapter Seven: The Special Education Experience
Chapter Eight: Silly Sanity Lists
Chapter Nine: Recipes for Fun Fridays
Chapter Ten: It's a Wonderful World, After All

Thanks again Susan for the interview and sharing your book with me. 
I hope everyone will go and check it out. 
You will laugh at Susan's stories and learn lots of new tricks and tips for your classroom as you read.

2 comments:

Jody said...

Thanks for all the inspiration!
I passed the Versatile Blogger Award your way!
Come over and grab the button!
http://campkindergarden.blogspot.com/

Susan Case said...

Thank you for the Versatile Blogger Award! I proudly placed it on my blog. I visited your wonderful blog, joined, and added it to my Favorite Blogs list. Sorry it took me so long to get back with you. I forgot to subscribe to comments on this post, but I do greatly appreciate your comment.