Sunday, September 25, 2011

Autumn Math and Literacy Centers

Deanna Jump and Julie Lee just posted their Autumn Math and Literacy Centers unit to TPT, so be sure to check it out. This is my favorite centers unit so far!! It is full of new ideas as well as ways to differentiate the activities for your students.
 
 I love the way they offered suggestions and provided black and white masters for those who need to print the games and activities in black and white instead of color. This will be very helpful to some of you and allow you to save on colored ink if you need to. 

My favorite activities are the Candy Corn Measuring and class book, the House Haunters combining sets, the Thanksgiving Friends data analysis, and The Frankenstein Name Comparison. I have always had my students measure how many pumpkins tall they are, but I love the idea of using candy corns to do it instead. The House Haunters game is perfect for working on number combinations and composing and decomposing numbers. I love the Thanksgiving Friends Data Analysis because it incorporates tally marks along with the other graphing pieces. The Frankenstein Name Comparison activity is my favorite!! Students compare all of the different aspects of their names to Frankenstein's name.

The unit contains 17 different literacy and math activities. All of the ideas can be easily taught in whole group and then moved into centers and some of the activities make great whole group lessons on their own. Go to TPT now to check it out!!

2 comments:

Julie said...

April,
Thank you so much for blogging about our packet. That is so sweet of you! Also, thanks for adding my name to your sidebar for teacherspayteachers! I appreciate it so very much! :)

Rachelle said...

They are a perfect team! This unit looks great!
-Rachelle
whattheteacherwants.blogspot.com