Monday, August 22, 2011

The American Teacher: A Film by Vanessa Roth

This post is a little different than the ones I usually make, but I recently found out about a documentary called American Teacher and I wanted to share a little bit about it with you. With all of my grad school research, I have gotten into watching educational documentaries such as Waiting for Superman and Race to Nowhere. Sometimes these documentaries inform us about things going on in education that we do not know about and other times they affirm the decisions we are making and the thoughts we are having.

American Teacher is a feature-length documentary which chronicles the stories of four teachers who live and work in disparate urban and rural areas of the country. The film follows these teachers as they reach different milestones in their careers. It tells a deeper story of the teaching profession than what is seen on the surface. American Teacher is based on the New York Times best-selling book, Teachers Have it Easy: The Big Sacrifices and Small Sacrifices of America's Teachers. It is an endeavor of The Teacher Salary Project, a nonprofit organization offering interactive online resources and a national outreach campaign to change how teachers are valued in our society.

The documentary was produced and directed by Academy Award winning filmmaker Vanessa Roth and narrated by Academy Award winner Matt Damon. It opens Friday, September 30th, 2011.

For a short preview, go to The Teacher Salary Project.

4 comments:

Pam said...

Thank you for sharing this. I can't wait to see the movie in September.

kylie said...

Thank you for sharing about this! It is definitely on my "to-watch" list!!

Deedee Wills said...

Thank you for telling us about it! I will have to seek it out!

Mrs. Wills Kindergarten

Pam said...

April,
I love your new blog design! The colors are beautiful! I love Alicia at Dreamlike Magic. She designed my blog too.....