Thursday, July 7, 2011

Celebrating the Letter U

In celebration of the letter "U," we had upside-down day. We wore coats, hats, glasses, earrings, and buttons upside down and made upside down ice cream sundaes. Yum!

We read Great Day for Up! and Brainstormed things that are up in the sky.

How to make upside down ice cream sundaes- First, put in sprinkles. Second, add a cherry. Third, pour on chocolate syrup. Fourth, add whipped cream. Fifth, add a scoop of ice cream.

I have a construction paper ice cream project I have them make (the idea came from Brooke Perry), but I am still looking for a picture of it. Then we write a how-to paper on how we made our upside down sundaes.

To celebrate the letter "U" we brought umbrellas to school. We read underneath them with our classmates and our third grade book buddies.

This is a writing activity Brooke Perry did with her kids on umbrella day.

My favorite way to celebrate the letter "U" is to wear big underwear. We read stories about animals and their underwear, they graphed who wore big underwear to school, and they danced to Joe Scruggs' song Big Underwear.

Well, you wake up in the morning,

Stretch your arms in the air,
And then you put on your Big Underwear.
You take a step to your left, you take a step to your right,
Big underwear is never too tight!

You bend at the waist and you touch your shoes,
With Big Underwear you've got room to move.
Jump up, sit down, "And everybody freeze,"
With Big Underwear you've got room to breathe.

Well, it's Big Underwear and you sure are pleased.
You pull it up to your waist.
It hangs down to your knees.
You take a jump forward,
You take a step back.
Big Underwear is where it's at.

A few of my favorite underwear books....

This picture did not come from my class, but I loved the idea!


Busy Bees said...

Gotta love the word "underwear" in kindergarten. Cute ideas!!

Anonymous said...

Love the inderwear idea! Is there a letter you send home explaning to parents what is appropriate to wear?

Mrs. Larremore said...

Email me and I will send you the note I sent home to parents :)

Sheila said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sheila said...

I know this post is really long ago, but do you still have the letter you send home to parents? This is fantabulous!!! I love all you did with underwear!!!


Becky Hutson said...

I would love the note also.

Gretchen said...

Love this, we are going to read Dinosaurs love underpants tomorrow and decorate underpants, will be sure to play the song too, thanks for the inspiration!