Thursday, July 21, 2011

Actual Size

Another idea from Mamie Tice....

These measurement ideas are based on the book Actual Size by Steve Jenkins.


Buy two copies of the book- one for reading and one for taking apart. Carefully remove the pages from one of the books. Tape them together and laminate them so students can lay them out flat and use them for measuring.


Put small colored sticker dots in various places on the picture to show students where to measure.

Give students a variety of objects for measuring- pom pom balls, Popsicle sticks, pipe cleaner pieces, counters, etc.


I would not have students lay all of the objects out at once like this, but I wanted you to see the different items I used for measuring.


Have different groups measure the same picture using different items. Have them make comparisons and discuss their thinking. This is a great activity to place in a math tub after the lesson.

This is my favorite idea to use with the book. Make copies of the gorilla hand. Have students paint their handprint inside a copy of the gorilla hand. Then have them make comparisons between their own hand and the gorilla hand. For fun, have some people outside of the classroom make a handprint. For example, the principal, a parent, a high school football player, etc.

If I did this with my class, I would place labels with the child's name on their page, laminate them, and bind them together to make a class book. Students can make comparisons between their hands, a classmates hand, and the gorilla hand too.


The really large orange handprint came from a Tech football player. The kids had tons of fun with that!!
.

5 comments:

Jill said...

AWESOME! I just went to a Math training the other day and she mentioned this book, but you went above and beyond the ideas she had. I love the paint idea. You could even extend it into writing (I teach 1st) where they compare and contrast the two hands. Thanks so much for sharing!!!!!

Camille said...

I love this book, but these ideas take it so much further than I ever have! I just went to Amazon to order a second copy to cut up and they are starting to run low on copies. I wonder why!! : )
Camille
An Open Door

Littlest Learners said...

I had never heard of this book before. I love the handprint activity. I'll be pinning it to do this year.

❤Jodi from...
★★The Clutter-Free Classroom★★
Helping Teachers Get Organized

Mrs. Patton said...

Wow... I was in that same room at CAMT! You must have been at the session right before me! Where do you teach?
Colleen Patton
Colleen.patton115@gmail.com

Mrs. Larremore said...

I was in the first session of the morning :) I am sorry we missed each other. I love to actually meet my blogging friends in person. I work for Grand Prairie ISD. Where are you?